Zotero 7: Word could not communicate with Zotero - Win 11 -Rpt ID 1808630882

Report ID: 1808630882

Error message "Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure Zotero is running and try again. If this problem persists, see https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting .

I did:
Reinstalled 7.0.0-beta.6+febcf2568 (64-bit)

Restart your computer.

If you're getting a communication error, go to Tools → Add-ons in Zotero and make sure that Zotero Word for Windows Integration is enabled. ***no extensions were listed***

Make sure that you're running Zotero as the same user as Word. Specifically, you should check to make sure neither program is running as administrator. For security and stability reasons, you should typically not run any software as administrator.

Not using multiple profiles
Due to it being late, I did not try and figure out the following:
Temporarily disable any security software you're running, which could interfere with the connection between Word and Zotero.

If the plugins still aren't working, go to your Word Startup folder, delete Zotero.dotm, and restart Word to make sure that the plugin is completely gone from Word. Then reinstall the plugin.
  • Error: Could not remove C:\Users\[…]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\Zotero.dotm"
    So you need to do the last step:
    If the plugins still aren't working, go to your Word Startup folder, delete Zotero.dotm, and restart Word to make sure that the plugin is completely gone from Word. Then reinstall the plugin.
  • 1. Deleted Zotero.dotm
    2. Restarted word. It is gone

3. Attempting to reinstall plugin
    If the Zotero tab or toolbar still doesn't appear in your word processor after clicking the install button in the Zotero preferences and restarting your word processor, follow the manual installation instructions.
    I could not do because I couldn't find the Word processor tab in Setting/Cite...

I also don't seem to have an installation folder:
    In the installation folder, open extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install, where you can find a copy of the Zotero.dotm file.
    see https://www.dropbox.com/s/56pnu9ao2hsl89c/Installing pluging.docx?dl=0 for screen shots.

What did I miss?

Thanks!
  • edited May 30, 2023
    The documentation just hasn't been updated for Zotero 7.
    I could not do because I couldn't find the Word processor tab in Setting/Cite
    Just scroll down in that pane.
    I also don't seem to have an installation folder
    The plugin files are under integration/.
  • Well, that was easy. All is well.

Thanks!