Unable to Download

I am unable to download Zotero, how do get help with this?
  • edited May 26, 2023
    You'd have to say more.
  • I work in IT for Veterans Affairs, when I attempt to download the software your page is blocked. Getting thsat unblocked is difficult at best. Is there another way to get the install package?
  • edited May 26, 2023
    I mean, we wouldn't know anything about IT restrictions at your organization, obviously. So I don't really know what you're asking of us.
  • You can obviously download it on a different network and put it on a USB stick or on a non-blocked page and download it, though both of these presumably aren't intended by whoever implemented the block.
  • A few vendors have had other options for getting downloads so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks for your time.
  • edited May 26, 2023
    I worked for a time as a contractor within VA. The agency has always had very restrictive policies about what software could be on their computers, even what websites could be visited, etc. At that time they didn't allow individual users to update the programs that were allowed on the machines but only tech support to do so and only after the central agency in the DC suburb gave the approval.

Although I seem to recall threads in this forum that discussed Zotero and security issues within US government agencies; my attempts to find those discussions didn't succeed.

edit: Any attempted modifications to the standard structure of software was considered to be a very serious violation of regulations. Things like browser plug-ins were deemed worthy of serious disciplinary actions.
  • TMI:

When I was a contractor for the VA making annotated bibliographies, it was in the ancient days before Zotero. EndNote and Reference Manager were not approved software. I used my own computer and RM. To share my work product I used dBase and later early awful versions of Access. Via information from a colleague who still works in the VA system, the current issue is that Zotero (and Mendeley) have browser plugins that connect with websites in ways that are outside the control of the VA. I thought that the problem might be that Zotero syncs to its own storage but apparently that isn't the main problem. Another issue is that Zotero is thought to regularly "call home" for program and other updates (translators) that have not yet been approved.