Report id 267288257 - File keeps syncing big file after replaced by local link to the file

edited May 9, 2023
For some big files I had replaced the storage in Zotero quota for a link to local file in other path. Zotero dektop and web show the existing link to local file. But when I sync my library the huge pdf is synced back to the Zotero folder consuming my quota.

This happens with some files.

Zotero version 6.0.26, Report id 267288257

Thank you in advance.
  • edited May 9, 2023
    This is some sort of misunderstanding.

Your 'storage' folder doesn't affect your quota — your quota is online only. Either the stored file still exists in your library or it doesn't.

If you're saying you deleted a stored file, you also need to empty the trash to remove it from your library and to stop the file from counting against your storage.
  • Thank you for the reply.

I have deleted the file in zotero, and at windows explorer and - when I sync Zotero - the file returns to the local folder.

If the file does not exists in local folder and it is downloaded from Zotero server everytime I sync it, my understanding is that this file is using my quota.

How to replicate here step by step:

- I deleted the folder with the pdf file from here C:\Users\username\Zotero\storage\B4977WVT path
    - At Zotero exists entry for this article but a link attached to file in other location (just an URL)
    - The Zotero web shows me that this entry has just a local URL for the file (not the pdf itself)
    - But when I click "sync" the file is downloaded to the local folder again recreating C:\Users\username\Zotero\storage\B4977WVT and the pdf file inside
    - Zotero shows me "You have reached your Zotero File Storage quota. Some files were not uploaded. Other Zotero data will continue to sync to the server."

This happens for more than one file.

• edited May 9, 2023
    No, if you want to remove the file from Zotero, you need to delete the stored-file attachment item from Zotero and empty the trash. Deleting a file from your 'storage' folder has no effect on your online quota.
  • Thank you!

Problem solved.