IEEE style updated in 2022 with changes to websites

Hi there,

IEEE made a new updated version of their style in August 2022
http://journals.ieeeauthorcenter.ieee.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/IEEE_Reference_Guide.pdf

They have made a change in how they reference websites. In the previous version, websites differed from other online references, like reports. Now they are pretty much the same.

Here is the new correct basic format that they provide:

First Name Initial(s) Last Name. “Page Title.” Website Title. Date Accessed. [Online]. Available: Web Address.

J. Smith. “Obama inaugurated as President.” CNN.com. Accessed: Feb. 1, 2009. [Online.] Available: http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/01/21/obama_inaugurated/index.html

Here is the same example from the older version of IEEE:

First Name Initial(s) Last Name. “Page Title.” Website Title. Web Address (retrieved Date Accessed).

J. Smith. “Obama inaugurated as President.” CNN.com.
http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/01/21/obama_inaugurated/index.html (accessed Feb. 1, 2009).

The older format had the accessed date at the end in brackets and didn't have the [Online] or Available.

I find it strange that they seem to exclude the publication year from Websites. I'm wondering if it's an oversight because they don't talk about why they don't include it because although a lot of websites don't have a clear date, some definitely do.
  • Hello there! I want to try and get some attention to my problem with IEEE style in Zotero that I brought up last April. Hopefully, someone has some time to have a look :)
  • There is also another error concerning Book Chapters, where the book edition is not in the correct place.
  • Could you say more about the latter?
  • edited August 25, 2023
    I just suggested a fix for the website presentation. Give it a test: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/329459b36f985049eb239745f655a20407eecf43/ieee.csl

I didn't see a difference for book chapters:
    Their example:
    L. Li, J. Yang, and C. Li, “Super-resolution restoration and image reconstruction for passive millimeter wave imaging,” in Image Restoration—Recent Advances and Applications, A. Histace, Ed., Rijeka, Croatia: InTech, 2012, pp. 25–45

Our output:
    I. Mares, “Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers?,” in Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage, P. A. Hall and D. Soskice, Eds., New York: Oxford University Press, 2001, pp. 184–213.
  • They say edition (which we don't have in the Mares chapter) is in the wrong place.
  • Regarding the Edition.
    Here's how it looks in Zotero:

A. Cordova, K. M. Keller, and L. Menthe, “Computer-mediated communication,” in Virtual Collaboration for a Distributed Enterprise, C. Rhodes, Ed., 3rd ed.London, England: RAND Corporation, 2013, pp. 5–10.

The correct way should be like this:

A. Cordova, K. M. Keller, and L. Menthe, “Computer-mediated communication,” in Virtual Collaboration for a Distributed Enterprise, 3rd ed., C. Rhodes, Ed. London, England: RAND Corporation, 2013, pp. 5–10.

The Editor and the Edition need to switch places. And there's a missing space before London.
  • @damnation looks like your fix for the websites in your file is working correctly.
  • edited August 29, 2023
    Thank you for this @damnation! I really appreciate it. There are two corrections I have.

First regarding Websites: The [online] for Websites should be capitalized.

The second is regarding books and book chapters:

I am sorry, but I was wrong regarding the book chapters! I don't know how I could read it so wrong. It was correct the way it originally was. First is the editor and then the edition.

I think the problem with IEEE is that there are too often discrepancies between the Basic Formats and the Examples given. I think it should be safest to do what the Basic Format says, but sometimes they don't always include all possible cases.

I am using the same example I used above, but the only thing wrong is the missing space before the publication place. I think that there should always be a full stop before the publication place, but sometimes Zotero puts a comma instead, f.ex. when it's a book chapter with editors, edition and volume.

A. Cordova, K. M. Keller, and L. Menthe, “Computer-mediated communication,” in Virtual Collaboration for a Distributed Enterprise, C. Rhodes, Ed., 3rd ed.London, England: RAND Corporation, 2013, pp. 5–10.

Could you please correct the missing space before the publication place?

I have also noticed that Zotero doesn't include the book volume when the item is a book chapter. It does it for books, but not book chapters. Could you add that in as well?

This is the only Example IEEE gives for a book chapter with a volume. It seems that the volume should come directly after the book title, then the editors, then the edition. (full stop):

R. L. Myer, “Parametric oscillators and nonlinear materials,” in Nonlinear Optics, vol. 4, P. G. Harper and B. S. Wherret, Eds. San Francisco, CA, USA: Academic, 1977, pp. 47–160.

Sorry for the long comment! I am myself very confused and frustrated with IEEE style most of the time and I have to teach students how to use it! :(