Mapping EndNote custom field to Zotero tags

edited April 24, 2023
Hello! I'm helping to migrate a complicated EndNote library into Zotero. Some of the custom fields in the EndNote library are being used in the same way that EndNote's "Keywords" field might be, and they contain multiple terms (entered on separate lines).

Is it possible to edit the EndNote XML such that these are converted into Zotero tags, in the same way that terms entered in the "Keywords" field are? Which lines of the .js should I be focusing on?

(As a workaround, I've tried using EndNote's "Change/Move/Copy Fields" functionality to append these custom fields to the "Keywords" field, and it *almost* works, except that it merges one of the terms with one of the keywords, like it's missing a delimiter between the fields.)
  • Can you export an item to Endnote XML from Endnote and figure out how those fields are stored there?
  • edited April 24, 2023
    In the XML, the terms in the custom fields are separated by a carriage return:
    & # x d ;

In the Keywords field, they're tagged with < keyword> and </ keyword>

I might have to wait until the new version of EndNote unveils its "tagging" functionality and then move those fields into that one instead...
  • Okay, you've convinced me! I'll try to do this in javascript :)