Set journal abbreviations

edited April 19, 2023
I have a couple of questions about handling of journal names/abbreviations. I will post them separately to avoid mix-ups.

I have many items with various issues in the field _Journal Abbr_.
These are:
1. The same value in the field _Journal Abbr_ as in _Publication_.
2. Empty field _Journal Abbr_.
3. _Journal Abbr_ with no periods (the milder issue).

Most of these items (if not all) were grabbed by Zotero connector.

This is an issue at the time of exporting, since journal names will show up heterogeneous, and not abide by the required format.
1. Is there a way to automatically obtain _Journal Abbr_ (from some external, or Zotero internal abbreviation list), directly at the time of grabbing from Zotero connector? And/or
2. Is there a way to fix this later on, by scanning all entries and setting _Journal Abbr_ as per an abbreviation list? Ideally, this would also somehow flag items which have issues with _Publication_ or _Journal Abbr_.
  • The immediate answer to your questions is basically no*, but since I understand from your other thread that you're using bibtex, you can use the BetterBibTeX add-on, which allows you to automate journal abbreviations on export.

* 1) works if you import from well-curated databases, especially PubMed
  • Hi sserebrinsky, I have written a plugin that provides the ability to find journal abbreviations, the data source for journal abbreviations comes from JabRef and contains about 90,000 abbreviations, if the abbr is not fetched in built-in list, the plugin will automatically infer its ISO 4 abbreviation based on ISSN LTWA. Hope you find it useful.

Plugin Name: Zotero Format Metadate
    README: https://github.com/northword/zotero-format-metadata#look-up-the-journal-abbreviation-according-to-the-journal-full-name