Zotero Connector - saving snapshot IN ADDITION TO a PDF

For a research project, we need BOTH the PDF and a snapshot of the webpage. Is there anyway to enforce that In Zotero Connector? Sometimes articles save JUST as a PDF (e.g. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/scn/2022/9913450/ ); occasionally both a PDF and a snapshot (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ejhf.2600 ).

For now we are manually adding items twice using both the default (e.g., article save) as well as "Web page with snapshot". This is a bit of work since we then need to merge, or move the snapshot under the article item and delete its container.

-Jodi
  • not without modifying the translators in question. We've found that very few people are interested in the snapshot if there's a PDF, so most new translators tend to eschew snapshots when there are PDFs (which is guaranteed for an OA publisher like Hindawi, e.g.)
  • At one point grabbing both was an option in the settings I think - that would be useful in the future. In my use case I need both because we're checking the retraction indexing at the publisher website. We need to understand and be able to review later BOTH the HTML and the PDF.
  • edited April 17, 2023
    There have always been separate settings for snapshots and PDFs, but that just controls whether those ever get saved, not what specific translators do.

If you need both and don't want to modify the translators, you'd have to right-click on the save button, save as a webpage with snapshot, and then drag the snapshot to the main item and delete the webpage item (or merge them, though that leaves a little metadata behind that's unnecessary in your case).
  • +1 to the feature request of adding a setting to opt for saving both PDF and HTML snapshot when both exist.

My reasoning for this is different to @jschneider's.

I like snapshots as copying text works better from HTML if I'm pasting to quote in something I'm writing (PDF readers don't reliably do that well on line breaks etc).

But I definitely want the PDF version too, as that's where I'd find the page number to cite the quote I've pulled in.