Long-term storage planning: archival into cold storage?

I expect that during active research I will accumulate stuff in my Zotero Library that I want synced between devices, etc.

However, eventually some research threads will be finished and I will want to archive the related material, keeping it accessible even if rarely accessed. At that point, I guess that having that data taking space in my synced library makes no sense and it'd be more logical to move those files to some kind of cold data storage... right?

So, what would be the best way to do this?
I can think of a couple of options:
* Move files from my main Library to a non-synced group library as an "archival library". Would that moving actually save sync space, keep metadata, etc? Would Zotero suffer if I hoard stuff like that?
* Export and delete from Zotero and import as/if needed. Probably safest longer-term but this adds much friction and I've seen the warnings about broken links with RDF exports.

Do I have it right? Am I missing something? Suggestions, experiences, ideas?
Thank you!
  • You could also use Zotfile to move all attachments in those archived collections to linked files (in Zotfile's Custom Location, either locally or a cloud location). They would then no longer be synced to Zotero's servers (so would not be available across devices, unless you set that up too). They would then no longer count towards your storage quota.