Strange bug in google docs: Empty paragraph leads to error

Debug id: D1084044723

Trying to debug what caused the error in a google document, I managed to narrow it down to a single empty paragraph that doesn't contain any citations.

If this paragraph (the last in the document) is present, and I click: Zotero>refresh, I get an error. If I remove the paragraph, it works fine.

This is very perplexing.
Here is a copy of the document narrowed down to this behaviour (if it helps):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gOkVt0UDvOvtlH0BNS5bqHN00IACtFpS5iL7HMx--c8/edit?usp=sharing

I think this is the error that occurs, but doesn't look to informative. Is this some weirdness on google's side?

(3)(+0000004): HTTP GET https://docs.googleapis.com/v1/documents/1gOkVt0UDvOvtlH0BNS5bqHN00IACtFpS5iL7HMx--c8

(3)(+0000200): Exception in Document.getDocumentData

(1)(+0000007): Error: 500: Google Docs request failed.

{
"error": {
"code": 500,
"message": "Internal error encountered.",
"status": "INTERNAL"
}
}

Using Firefox developer edition, 112.0b9, on arch linux.
Zotero 6.0.23
Zotero connector 5.0.107
  • The problem is that in the longer document (which is of course a research application due to be submitted pretty soon), similar errors seem to occur in various places, also without citations (I've been doing some bisecting on many parts of the document). So "just removing the problematic paragraph" isn't really feasible, unfortunately.
  • Disable Google Docs v2 from the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences. Unfortunately there's a known bug on Google's side that causes this, which is why v2 is still disabled by default. We've reported it to them repeatedly, but unfortunately we're still waiting for a fix.
  • Sorry, this is a known error that we have reported to Google nearly a year ago without them seemingly even attempting to fix it, and they made our issue private, so we cannot even refer our users to go complain at Google via their ticketing system, which could help them identify just how common of an issue this is.

You should disable the Google Docs Integration v2 in Zotero Connector Preferences -> Advanced. We will push out an update later that will disable this for all users, since it doesn't seem like Google will be fast in fixing this.
  • Thanks for the quick answers! I actually did try to disable v2 but didn’t realize that a restart was needed. Now after disabling v2 and restarting, it works. Now on to get that writing done!