sync attached pdf files - strange behaviour?

Hi all,

2.0b7.6 on a linux machine, storing attachments on a webdav server, synchronizing works fine with my desktop at home and a laptop. But .. sync to my desktop at work with otherwise identical setup behaves strange:

After changing a PDF-file at home and synchronizing, I can find the changed file on the webdav server as expected. But when I synchronize my desktop at work, the pdf will not be uploaded. I get no errors.

When I delete the old pdf in zoteros storage-directory on my desktop at work, at the next synchronisation the correct, modified file will be retrieved (along with many others).

Any suggestions? Should I reinstall zotero first? What additional info do you need to see what's going on there?

regards, GR
  • But when I synchronize my desktop at work, the pdf will not be uploaded.
    Downloaded, you mean?

Provide a Debug ID for the first sync attempt on the work machine after a modified file has been uploaded from home. A Report ID would be helpful as well.
  • Dan:
    your response is incredible fast. Thank you. I mean "downloaded", as you say.

- Now I modified a pdf attachment at home, filename: "Putz and Steldinger - 2009 - Rechtliche Aspekte der Therapiebegrenzung in der P.pdf", name of corresponding folder in zotero storage: "UHGQNXHH"
    - sync from home desktop
    - restarted ff on work desktop
    - activated debug output logging
    - sync work desktop (and files via webdav)
    - „debugID“ D1787186622 (many lines?? may be output from earlier logging is included, can you look at it from the bottom up?)
    - „report ID“ 551295957

does the output help?
    GR
  • Zotero seems to be under the impression that the existing file is a symlink (or perhaps within a symlinked directory higher up the path), which, due to a Firefox bug, it can't work with safely. Is that the case?
  • - correct.
    - the symlink was used to navigate the directory tree faster
    - I removed the symlink in the path to the zotero folder (replaced it with the full path)
    - zotero restarted ff
    - sync the work desktop again
    - again pdf was not downloaded (maybe something else should be done first?)
    - D219431524 (this time, sync is documented in the first lines of the output, afterwards, I had a look at the pdf)
    GR
  • It's skipping the download because nothing has changed since the last sync (when it just ignored that file). Doing Reset File Sync History from the Sync->Reset pane of the prefs should trigger the download.
  • - Reset File Sync History on work desktop
    - sync work desktop
    - no success yet
    - D1923655074 (ups, thats a lot)
    GR
  • Oh, well, that's a fluke of that series of steps (symlink issue plus Reset File Sync History)—the local file now has the same mod time as the remote file, and so it's being skipped. (The behavior after the symlink check is probably slightly off here, since it's a pretty rare edge case.) But without the symlink in place, if you modify the file remotely, sync remotely, and then sync at work, it should work.
  • It does work perfectly now. Thanks a lot for your help! I managed to do a donation to CHNM without any assistance ;-). Next week I'll try to convince our librarian at the University of Muenster Medical School, Germany to use and promote zotero.
    GR