Feature Request: query&display Notes within items (e.g. comments) with given tags rather than ITEMS

Currently, Zotero allows users to query items with specific tags, which will be displayed in the item pane; however, despite that we can specify tags to the comments within a pdf file since its upgrade last year, there is no way to query comments and display them in a human-friendly manner.

Such a function is extremely useful for most researchers. For example, when one needs to conduct a literature survey, one normally needs to read a large number of papers, and make comments within these pdf files; these comments can serve different purposes, which need to be retrieved and used in different paragraphs of the literature survey or even in different stages of one's study. Unfortunately, there is no way to display the relevant information to the CURRENT task, since Zotero does not support querying information to such a detailed level.

Such a function, on the other hand, is supported by some other software, such as Obsidian, which is the primary reason why I used it. Now that Zotero supports tags for the comments too thanks to its upgrade, I wonder if there is any plan to implement this request?

Since the majority of Zotero users need to handle a large number of items, with each item containing various information that needs to be retrieved and used later for different purposes, I believe that the requested functionality will be extremely beneficial to most of the users.
  • Yes, annotations will be shown in the items list in a future update, if that's what you mean.
  • I'm not sure if they are the same thing; I'm hoping that the "contents" of the notes with specific tags (for example, the comment notes created within pdf) can be displayed neatly.

If you are talking about displaying the relevant items in the item pane, then, right below each item, the contents of the comment notes with the specific tags are displayed, then I guess it is good.