How to export old library to Google Drive after setting up Zotero and Google Drive for syncing?

Hi,
Since Zotero storage is tiny, I followed the steps in this protocol for setting up Zotero and Google Drive for syncing. Basically, I want to be able to have my library metadata synced to Zotero, but the files should be stored in Google Drive. The problem is that these steps are basically for new Zotero users which haven't had a library running for years. I have a big library, and would like to do this set up, but also be able to transfer all my library files to the Google Drive folder while keeping the metadata in Zotero starage to avoid problems. My Zotero storage is already full, so I would like the library sync to start all over again to have only the metadata in the Zotero storage and the heavy files in Google Drive.

How should I proceed? Should I reset the online library using the Zotero > Preferences> Sync > Reset > Replace Online Library option and then do the set-up following the steps in the attached link?

https://www.protocols.io/view/setting-up-zotero-and-google-drive-for-syncing-ref-cn7gvhjw.pdf

I'm using the last version of Zotero in a Macbook Pro with macOS 12.6.

Thansk for your support!

Esteban
  • First, to be clear, Zotero storage isn't tiny, it's unlimited. *Free* Zotero storage is limited to 300MB.

Generally, I'd encourage you to rethink whether Google Drive really is the best option for you: this is all in the advanced tab of the preferences for a reason, and there's a number of ways to mess up linked file settings.

But if you want to continue, you'd use ZotFile --> Manage Attachments --> Rename Files in batch to turn all your current attachments into links in Google Drive and then follow the set-up as described.

Absolutely do not use any of the reset options. You don't need them for your purposes (and they're quite dangerous to use unless you know exactly what you're using them for).
  • edited April 12, 2023
    A simple way to manage Zotfile's moving of PDF attachments in an *existing* large Zotero library to the Zotfile linked Custom Location is to do it in smaller chunks ... select all the A's, then right click Manage Attachments\Rename and Move, wait for it to finish, next the B's, etc etc. You will see a popup dialog showing the progress of moving each chunk.

Your online library will progressively sync so that you no longer have PDFs stored in your Zotero online storage. Your metadata will be remain there, but that does not count towards your storage quota (see yours at https://www.zotero.org/settings/storage ).

Note that the instruction under 5.3 in the PDF instructions you linked appears to be incorrect. Keep 'Sync full-text content' selected (it does not count towards your storage quota). Just turn off everything under File Syncing as instructed. 'Full-text content' is the indexed content of the PDF attachments (so that they can be searched using Zotero's quick search and Advanced Search), *not* the PDFs themselves. The deselected settings under File Syncing is what prevents the PDFs being uploaded/synced via Zotero servers.

Moving forward, Zotfile will automatically move new PDFs downloaded by the Zotero web connector to linked storage. However if you simply drag a PDF into Zotero, you will have to do the right click Rename and Move to move it (so it's better to use 'Attach Stored Copy of File' or 'Attach New File', which Zotfile will then move, instead of dragging). There are several other limitations of linked files, documented here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/attaching_files#stored_files_and_linked_files

Since Zotero does not move linked PDFs to the trash, use the right click option added by the Delitem addon to delete them (otherwise you would accumulate 'orphan' PDFs in your linked storage that you no longer need).
    https://github.com/redleafnew/delitemwithatt

It's important to document all your settings so that you can reproduce them on new devices.
  • Thanks adamsmith and tim820 for your support.

I corrected point 5.3 in the PDF instructions to the one you told me tim820.

I also installed the Delitem addon and works perfectly.

I'm wondering if it is possible to have an automated workflow for saving files to Zotero using the Zotero Conector and then having Zotfile renaming and moving them to Google Drive automatically?
  • ZotFile automatically moves files that are attached to items imported using the connector to the specified custom location. You only need to do this manually (and there's no way to automate this) if you're saving a PDF file directly, be it via the connector or by dragging it to Zotero from your file system.