chrome extension saves different version paper

Hi, Everyone. I found that recently the Chrome extension save a different version from the paper page I viewed. How to solve this problem and make the extension extract the paper exactly from the page viewed?
  • We would need an example URL to say more.
  • For example, https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.nanolett.2c03449, our university has bought the paper, but when I use the Chrome extension, the paper found is not the version in the URL above, the submitted version instead.
    Several weeks ago, I never found such a problem, and I wonder if is there any way to save the paper as the URL version?
  • As a general rule, don't try to save from the PDF URL itself — always save from the publication's article page. On a supported site like ACS, Zotero will save high-quality metadata as well as the PDF if you have access to it.

This specific example is a bit complicated. On most sites, if you're on a PDF URL instead of an article URL, Zotero can only save the PDF file itself — indicated by a PDF icon in the save button — and then try to retrieve metadata for the PDF. Here, since there's a DOI in the URL, Zotero tries to use that first — you can see this by hovering over the save button, which will show "Save to Zotero (DOI)". Since the DOI translator only ever gets metadata and no PDF, Zotero looks for an open-access PDF and adds it to the new item. The fact that you're already on the PDF is irrelevant.

We'll see if we can automatically use both the DOI metadata and the PDF from the current URL in a case like this, but you'll avoid this problem by just saving from the article page, no matter what site you're on.
  • Oh, I see! Thank you for your answer! :)
  • edited April 12, 2023
    We've fixed this for the next version of the Zotero Connector. Thanks for reporting!