Can't put my sources in the footnotes

When I use word I could use the zotero toolbar in the top of the screen to and go to add/edit citation to add/edit a footnote but I can't anymore.

When I use this a window pops up telling me that the fieldcode is corrupt and asks me if I want to select the document again, which I hadn't done yet. If I chose yes, the windows pops up again, if I choose no, the window also also pops up again.

If I choose cancel the window disappears but if I put a reference in the footnote as usual, there is a footnote but "quote" is written instead of the reference.

I don't know how much time the team will take to fix this, has anyone managed to get around this bug yet ?
  • Does this happen in a new document, or only in an existing one?

    If this happens in one specific document, see https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents

    (We'd also want the exact error messages, as you see them -- no translation, no paraphrasing)
  • edited April 11, 2023
    So I just checked again. the problem has an effect on all my documents but it does not come from them but from my word file. It works just fine on other word documents.

    Here is the message I get, it is always the same (I use the french version of zotero so I won't try to translate the message unless you tell me to do so) :

    "Le code de champ Zotero correspondant à cette citation, lequel indique à Zotero quel document représente cette citation dans votre bibliothèque, à été corrompu. Voulez-vous sélectionner à nouveau le document ?

    Cliquer "non" effacera les codes de champ pour les citations comportant ce document, préservant ainsi le texte de la citation mais le supprimant potentiellement de votre bibliographie."
  • Right, so the message means what it says: you'll typically want to click yes and re-select the right item for the highlighted citation.
  • Yes but the problem is there : the message pops up before I select any document and when I click yes, the message disappears and pops up again immediately
  • Right, the message pops up because one of the *existing* citations is corrupted. It should be highlighted in the document. That's the one you'll want to replace.
    This is fairly rare to happen, though -- can you recall anything unusual you did with the document?
  • edited April 11, 2023
    ok I will search it then.

    I don't recall doing anything unusual. I have changed citations directly within word for 2 years now and this is the fiirst time that it happens.
    I recently discovered that you could edit a citation directly in the Zotero bar but I didn't see anything weird happening.

    I did however copy paste something like 5 or 6 pages in a row from a draft document to my main document and there were several citations within those pages. The problem occured after that so I will check there.

    but it is weird I have already done that before and I've never had this problem
  • edited April 11, 2023
    Sorry for the, delay word crashed but i managed to save the file. turns out I just needed to click yes three times.

    Then the problem came back so quit and reopened both Zotero and Word. The problem is gone now.

    Thanks for your time.
Sign In or Register to comment.