Zotero Google Docs error due to Clear URLs extension

I wanted to share my experience with a Zotero Google Docs error that I encountered and how I resolved it. Maybe it will help someone else who has the same problem.

The error I was getting was “Sorry something went wrong there” every time I tried to use Zotero with Google Docs. I followed the steps from the Zotero documentation and the forums, but nothing worked. I checked my firewall, antivirus, proxy settings, and restarted my browser and Zotero several times. I also made sure I was using the correct Google account to authenticate Zotero.

Then I realized that the problem was caused by another extension in my browser: Clear URLs. This extension removes tracking elements from URLs to enhance privacy and security. However, it also interferes with the communication between Zotero and Google Docs.

The solution was simple: I disabled Clear URLs for docs.google.com and everything worked fine. I could use Zotero to insert citations and bibliographies without any error.
You can safely re-enable the extension one Zotero has authenticated :)

I hope this helps someone who has the same issue. Zotero is a great tool and I’m so relieved to be able to use it again with Google Docs.