Same Item in multiple Collections---quick collection jump

Hello everyone. Based on library indices, I have built myself a huge collection, and sometimes one item is stored in several collections. For example, one book on "Intellectual History" can be stored in collection A: western history, B: modern philosophy, and C: world literature (to give an example).

I know that holding "control" key will jump you (probably) to the "Western History" collection where the book is stored, but is there a way (besides manually sliding down(after clicking and without holding control key) and check the highlighted column myself) to jump consecutively to the second and the third collection?

Right now, as a workaround, I'm writing a note under the said book with links to various collections addresses. I use the same technique to quickly navigate between two or multiple collections (same note with links to both places, under both collections). But you have to build a "quick link" note to every book under different collections.

Ps. Zotero is such a powerful knowledge management software, and I just cannot live without it! Congrats to the devs and thank you for your work!
  • edited April 6, 2023
    I don't know of any quick collection jump feature.

I've always thought Zotero should show the collections a source is in, maybe in the info section or as another side tab. Edit-- just read another issue about this: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/104182/feature-request-add-info-field-listing-all-collections-where-the-item-exists-within-the-library#latest

Another workaround could be using tags instead of collections. I'm considering moving over to tags now that someone has developed an addon that allows nested tags. https://github.com/MuiseDestiny/zotero-style. I think this works better for me because:

a) you can see all the tags an item belongs to
    b) you can search tags (I have so many collections often I can't find the collection I'm looking for).
    c) with tags you can more easily find what item might belong to multiple categories

Are there any issues with using tags that I'm not thinking of?
  • I agree with the proposal of showing collections(with clickable links) in the info section!That will make life much easier.

I don't know about tags. I read about the nested tags addon, and see the logic behind it, I guess it can replace collections, though I'm not quite convinced. Oh, I also use Zotfile to organize my database structure, so my books and documents are stored according to their places in collections. (Custom Location and Subfolder) In this way I have a good orderly file folder even without Zotero (though with other search engines like Everything I don't need the files on my hard drive to be in such good order. Habits from old Windows user, I guess). I think from a designer's perspective, using tags to replace collections, in a certain way cancels the reason why collections should exist in the first place....

So, I hope this problem can really be solved, or with an add-on. We only need to know how to get the collection info from a certain item/source.

Happy Zoteroing.^^