Unable to see all my collections and the references therein when using the Zotero plugin in Word

It's unfortunate that I can't upload screenshots with this posting because were I able to do so, it would make the task of explaining the issue I'm currently having considerably easier.

Right now, if I attempt to use the Zotero MS Word Plugin from within Word to insert a specific reference from one of my collections into either a footnote or inline reference, I can't seem to locate the reference in question and, therefore, can't insert it. The plugin is otherwise working perfectly.

I currently have 17 specific collections, all arranged hierarchically off the root directory (Collection). Because many of these references appear multiple times in different collections, and the current arrangement makes sense to me, I am very reluctant to change these unless there is no option.

What I am trying to do is to insert a number of references contained within a collection that is 4 levels deep from the root. For reasons unknown, when using the plugin within word, these are simply not displayed and therefore are unavailable.

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.
  • edited March 31, 2023
    Are you using the quick format (i.e. red frame search bar) or classic add citation dialog?
    If the latter, are you able to find those items using search?

edit: as for screenshots, you can upload them to any free image hosting site (imgur.com, Dropbox, etc.) and link to from here
  • Seeing as I don’t see a red bar, I assume it must be the latter. If I’m brutally honest, I don’t understand your question.
  • There's a search bar in the add citation dialog. Can you find your items using TT that?
  • I think we're going to need to see screenshots here.
  • I would upload a screenshot if I could, but this forum does not allow for it.

As for searching for my references via the search bar, this appears in yellow and can't find any of the references. In fact, it can't find anything and if I use it, it just stalls.

Should I have a go at reinstalling the plugin?
  • As adamsmith said above:
    as for screenshots, you can upload them to any free image hosting site (imgur.com, Dropbox, etc.) and link to from here
    But you're just clicking Add Note instead of Add/Edit Citation. Add Note is for Zotero notes, not citations.
  • You know what, you're absolutely right. I'm really sorry. Clicking on "Add Citation" works perfectly. I'm very embarrassed. I can only apologise.

• Don’t worry — you’re not the first to be confused by this since we added the note-insertion feature. We’re working on making this clearer.