Field lengths

I just noticed a sync failure, caused by a family name field that was excessively long. Shortening the field content (which was very long indeed) cleared it, so no problems there.

But I wonder whether it might make sense to catch field length issues at an earlier stage, maybe by issuing a warning popup or a red-text notice upon capture, or by flagging the item itself with a visual cue? When the problem crops up as a sync failure, it's tempting to jump to the conclusion that there's some problem with sync. In the worst case, a novice user might just give up ("That sync feature doesn't work for me, Zotero's a little quirky"). In the less worse case, it generates traffic for Dan to deal with, which is still a loss all around.
  • Capture isn't a great time, since 1) it's disruptive (which is why we don't do any sort of warnings or dialogs on otherwise successful captures), 2) the user may or may not ever actually sync that data with the server, and 3) the client doesn't actually know the limits.

For long tags there's a wizard that pops up when the server returns a tag-too-long sync error. Ideally there would be similar dialogs for other fields so that they didn't appear as generic sync errors (which, as you note, are likely alarming and/or off-putting). We just haven't gotten around to implementing those yet. It won't happen for 2.0, but I've created a ticket for 2.1.