zotero browser plugin vs. html docu snapshot vs. script blocker

How well does zotero browser plugin perform regarding proper capture of html document snapshot while ad / script blocker is running browser side?
Anything to consider this regard?
  • Zotero is running SingleFile internally to capture the document snapshot, which uses the live document and whatever is loaded in it. So content blocked by other extensions, including ad or script blockers will not be saved. In some cases Zotero cannot use the connector to save snapshots, in which case it runs SingleFile inside the Zotero program, in which case content that would be blocked by your browser may be present.
  • edited March 25, 2023
    > Zotero is running SingleFile internally..
    internally in regard to Zotero Connector browser plugin,
    or internally in regard to Zotero app?

> In some cases Zotero cannot use the connector to save snapshots
    For user, is it easy to see if particular Library item ran this track?
    > it runs SingleFile inside the Zotero program
    In general, does this solution produce better results than standard way?
    I didn't find string 'singlefile' in Zotero config editor, would this mean no way to make this fashion the default one if it should produce better results than current default?

Is following proper conclusion for user: Enable browser to parse as much dynamic content (enable scripts) as possible (yet reasonable) when saving web resource to Zotero?
  • edited March 27, 2023
    internally in regard to Zotero Connector browser plugin,
    or internally in regard to Zotero app?
    The Connector.
    For user, is it easy to see if particular Library item ran this track?
    No, the only way for the user to see this is in the Zotero debug log. Generally this happens when saving a website with a translator and the translator specifies a snapshot URL to be saved that is different from the page loaded in the browser, in which case the snapshot URL has to be loaded somewhere else. And that somewhere else is inside the Zotero program.
    In general, does this solution produce better results than standard way?
    It's a bit of a subjective judgement. If a user uses something like an adblocker, they likely want their snapshots to not contain any ads, but not necessarily. Otherwise, Zotero may fail to load pages that are somehow bot-guarder or behind a proxy that would normally load fine for the user inside their browser (or they would pass any bot checks if necessary).
    I didn't find string 'singlefile' in Zotero config editor, would this mean no way to make this fashion the default one if it should produce better results than current default?
    There isn't a way to configure this behavior.
    Is following proper conclusion for user: Enable browser to parse as much dynamic content (enable scripts) as possible (yet reasonable) when saving web resource to Zotero?
    I'm not quite following this question.
  • > If a user uses something like an adblocker, they likely want their snapshots to not contain
    > any ads, but not necessarily.
    Major reason why users use script blockers is prevent from running possible malicious code independently of if Zotero in use or not.
    I look only at the http-client end and its script blocker. Don't know about bot-guard nor I use or can affect the proxy in chain <<< hence do not treat these two as far as this forum question.

From all that stressed here so far I conclude following, if I enable only those scripts needed for rendering web resource content I need to get presented in document also snapshots in my Zotero library will have no more as that form (what is fine for me).
    Really bad case would be if user would need to unconditionally enable all scripts used by document in order that's snapshot to get properly saved to Zotero library.
  • Zotero's ability to save snapshots is not impacted by script blocking or similar extensions and it saves the document precisely as displayed in the user browser (unless the snapshot is saved by Zotero as detailed above). If you want the Zotero snapshot to include more dynamically loaded content, and are using a script blocker, you need to make sure that content is loaded and visible in the browser window before saving with Zotero.
  • > Zotero's ability to save snapshots is not impacted by script blocking or similar extensions
    > and it saves the document precisely as displayed in the user browser

this is misleading statement.

Either
    Zotero's ability to save snapshots is not impacted by script blocking or similar extensions
    or
    it saves the document precisely as displayed in the user browser
    but not both at the same time

"as displayed in the user browser" means script blockers affect Zotero's document capture to Library.

> Zotero's ability to save snapshots is not impacted by script blocking or similar extensions

stands in contradiction to

> If you want the Zotero snapshot to include more dynamically loaded content, and are using > a script blocker, you need to make sure that content is loaded and visible in the browser
    > window before saving with Zotero.
  • Zotero's ability to save snapshots is not impacted by script blockers. I.e. even if you block all scripts on the page, Zotero will still save a snapshot of that page. The content saved in the snapshot, obviously, is affected by script blockers, since Zotero just saves whatever is loaded in the browser, and with script blockers the loaded content will be different on most websites.

Is there something that doesn't work right, or as expected, for you? Or something you are trying to achieve?
  • If following applies:
    > Zotero's ability to save snapshots is not impacted by script blockers.
    The behavior should be as follows:
    Script blocker blocks in web resource presented in browser everything it can block, despite this and at the same time Zotero can make snapshot of resource in its original form, means as its form is before resource reaches script blocker.
  • OK, closing this pointless thread. We've explained how this works: it saves the rendered page as it is. If you want it to save something different, disable or enable other browser extensions and then save. There's nothing more to say on this.
This discussion has been closed.