how to get back attachments orphaned during syncing process?

I recently upgraded zotero on both my laptop and desktop to version 2, and then turned on the sync feature since the libraries on both were slightly different (previously, I had kept them in sync by copying the zotero directory). I enabled the option to have attachments in my library synced by zotero, not webdav.

At the conclusion of the syncing process, I discovered that the laptop and desktop each had two copies of the entries they shared. After deleting the duplicate entries from the desktop, the deletions correctly propagated to the laptop. Then I discovered that a number of entries (same ones on both laptop and desktop) no longer had their attachments. I haven't figured out how many attachments I've lost in total yet, but I did find that at least some of the attachments (all web page snapshots) had ended up in the orphaned-file directory on the desktop. The missing attachments are nowhere to be found on the laptop.

I tried the "locate" feature that gets popped up when zotero can't find an attached snapshot for which it has a record, but it seemed to do nothing.

How can I re-associate the orphaned snapshot with the appropriate entries in zotero?

Thanks in advance for any help...
  • Files are moved to 'orphaned-files' during upgrade, not during sync. If you have a backup of your pre-upgrade data directory, we could debug it in new Firefox profile (without using sync) to see if files are being moved there erroneously. But are you sure they weren't already missing beforehand (and you only noticed when they appeared in 'orphaned-files')?
    I tried the "locate" feature that gets popped up when zotero can't find an attached snapshot for which it has a record, but it seemed to do nothing.
    That's a separate issue. You'll need to tell us what OS you're on and include a Report ID.