IMDB translator not working properly

IMDB translator is missing the film filter, it only imports very few fields.
I checked on firefox and opera and has the same behaviour.

Can you fix it?
  • We always need an example URL for problems with saving.
  • OK
    You can try with https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8620154/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1
    Until one month ago, the filter has been working fine. Leider, nicht mehr.
  • That imports well for me -- what, specifically isn't importing that you'd want? And what browser and Zotero version?
  • There is an error message that tells that it's trying to use the embedded metadata. Title is wrong, fields for director, year and so on are not populated.
    Zotero 6.0.23 with Firefox and Chrome on Windows 10, 11 and Debian Linux.
  • @tekki: What URL?

The page above works for me. Can you provide a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector for reloading the page?
  • With the URL from above in the forum (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8620154/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1). Actually I have this problem with all the movies I want to register.

Debug ID: 2144691867
    But it tells me that no error was recorded. Seems the problem is in the connector, not in Zotero itself.
  • That's neither a Debug ID nor from the Zotero Connector. Follow my link above.
  • edited March 20, 2023
    Sorry. Debug ID from the connector: D1592074599.

The report about trimInternal is 318990194.
    [JavaScript Error: "trimInternal: argument must be a string
    trimInternal@moz-extension://99402dde-8336-401a-90ce-4af0d98dc759/utilities/utilities.js:236:10
  • Yeah, that definitely shouldn't happen with the page that we're seeing. It's possible if you're not in the U.S. you're seeing a different version of the page, though this would be surprising regardless.

If you're running any other browser extensions, try disabling them.

If it still happens, while you're viewing that page, if you go to Tools → Browser Tools → Web Developer Tools, go to the Inspector tab, and paste //h1/text() into the "Search HTML" field, does it highlight the page title or turn red ("No matches")?
  • Out of curiosity, I tried to save the same page from outside the U.S. and I am also getting an error.

In Firefox 111.0, with all extensions disabled, //h1/text() returns "No matches".
  • Can you save the page (HTML only) and email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • @poettli: Thanks very much. So yeah, it's just a different version of the page. (Older? Newer? Just different? Unclear.) We can fix the title extraction — which is what's failing here — easily, but we'll need to take a look to see whether other fields are different as well.
  • As far as I can see, the variant of the page doesn't depend on the place where you are, but on the localization of the browser. With a DE browser, I get a //h1/span tag for the title, with an EN browser just //h1.
  • edited March 31, 2023
    OK, it looks like this change finally made it to English pages, so we've pushed a fix. I didn't test with other locales, but I'd guess it will work.

Your Zotero Connector should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Translators in the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences.

If you're getting errors after updating translators, let us know.
  • Thanks for the update @dstillman. I'll test the new code as soon as it arrives.
  • The updated translator works for me.
  • Works for me too. Thanks a lot @dstillman!
  • Yep, working consistently and reliably. Thank you very much!