Error message

Hi all,

I keep receiving a message that zotero cant update my document. The only thing that will work is to copy and paste into a new document which is frustrating. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks :)
  • Hi, I have tried those but they havent worked for me
  • dstillman Zotero Team
    You haven't followed them to the end. From the last step:
    Isolate the problematic citations. Delete half of the document at a time and see if the error still occurs. If not, use Undo to restore the deleted section and then try deleting the other half. Repeat the halving process on the section that fails, or pick one at random if both do. Continue this until you find the smallest possible section, ideally with a single citation, that must be present for the problem to occur. Remove the isolated citations from the original document and the problem should go away (unless there are multiple broken citations, in which case you'll need to repeat the process). Unless the error still occurs if you completely clear the contents of the document, this final step will by definition identify the problem.
    And:
    You should also send the document excerpt from Step 11 and a link to your forum thread to support@zotero.org so that we can try to reproduce the problem.
  • Hi, I have done this and it didnt work I keep getting the same error message. I removed all of the citations and it still didnt work
  • dstillman Zotero Team
    If you're saying you removed everything in the document — so you have a blank document — and you're still getting an error, then per the instructions you should be providing a Report ID and emailing us an empty document that triggers the error.
  • Hi, yes I removed all the citations from the document. Im not sure what a report ID is
  • dstillman Zotero Team
    That's not what I said — I said removed everything in the document, such that you have a blank document. And I linked to instructions for providing a Report ID.
  • Sorry, I did delete half the document, then the other half- that didnt work, so I deleted the citations and the bibliography and that also didnt work
  • dstillman Zotero Team
    This command is not available because no document is open.
    Is this document stored in OneDrive?
  • Yes I have it stored on one drive and it is open, I deleted all the contents and I still got an error message
  • dstillman Zotero Team
    edited March 6, 2023
    Right, so you didn't actually follow the troubleshooting steps:
    7. If using OneDrive on Windows, save the copy of the document to your local hard drive, or try renaming the file to remove any spaces in the filename. OneDrive is known to interfere with the plugin for some people.
  • I have done this and it still didnt work
  • dstillman Zotero Team
    edited March 6, 2023
    Restart Zotero and Word and provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for reproducing this error with the document stored on the local disk.
  • dstillman Zotero Team
    That doesn't show you reproducing the error. That's just for Zotero startup.
  • dstillman Zotero Team
    (3)(+0001648): Integration: WinWord-addEditCitation:'https://[…]-my.sharepoint.com/personal/[…]/Documents/Documents\[…].docx' invoked
    And that document is still in OneDrive. I'm not sure why you keep claiming you've done things that you just haven't done, but I'm afraid I can't spend more time on this. I linked to the instructions that told you how to fix this an hour ago.

    If you're still having trouble, you'll have to ask someone to help you fix this in person using the information we've provided.
  • I saved the document down to my PC and followed the instructions. I don't know why you need to be so rude about this, there is just no need.
Sign In or Register to comment.