Drag & Drop citations into Google docs?

Hi all,

Some sources seem to suggest that it should be possible to drag and drop citations (not bibliography items) into google docs. That's much more convenient than ctrl-alt-C'ing and searching for references, as seems to be the only way that I'm able to do it at the moment. Shift-dragging alters the behavior, but still doesn't insert a citation. Dragging & dropping just inserts bibliography text wherever I insert it.

Any thoughts on how to make dragging & dropping citations from zotero desktop (6.0.22) with zotero connector 5.0.106 into google docs (using Chrome 110.0.5481.178 on Windows 10) work? Or, should I save my time and give up?

Thanks in advance....
  • It's possible to use shift+drag&drop to add the *text* of a citation to any document, including google docs, but that's just pasting text; it is not equivalent to inserting a citation using the Zotero add-ing for google docs, which will later recognize the citation, add it to the bibliography, change it when you change the citation style, etc.

The add-on is the only way to do that in any of the supported word processors (though I don't quite understand why doing it from Zotero directly is that much easier)
  • I look for the citations in zotero. searching for the author or title is another step. that's why it's a pain. easier (for me) to drag and drop from zotero.
  • You're aware of the classic citation dialog, which effectively looks like Zotero's interface?