Difficulty changing citation style in LibreOffice after Scrivener compile

Hi there,

If anyone has any experience with Scrivener + Zotero and would be able to help me, I would really appreciate it. I am trying to compile a non-fiction book that is to have the references formatted as endnotes at the back of the book, following Chicago 17th rules. The manuscript was written in Scrivener using Zotero as the citation manager. I am currently having difficulties with the Zotero plug-in for LibreOffice after following the "ODF Scan for Zotero" workaround.

This is where I got up to: I compiled the Scrivener manuscript as an odt with flattened footnotes so that all the references collect at the end of the manuscript where the endnotes marker is located. I then scanned the odt in Zotero using the "ODF Scan for Zotero" add-on. The scanned odt with live links to Zotero is now open in LibreOffice. At this point, I would like to change the citation style of the endnotes to Chicago 17th. However, whenever I click "Set Document Preferences" in the Zotero plugin toolbar, the dialog box doesn't pop-up, and instead I am just redirected to Zotero. The same thing happens when I click "Refresh." Does anyone know what's going on?

Look forward to hearing from you.
  • Does Zotero LibreOffice integration work for you in a regular document, no ODF Scan involved?
  • Hello Adam,
    Thank you for the quick response and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The Zotero LibreOffice integration seems to work in a regular odt.
  • Report ID: 1943461441

Hi again,
    Here is a bit more information:

1. When I first open the odt file generated by the ODF Scan, the citations are in an author-date format.
    2. When I click ‘Set Document Preferences’ the citations change to just {Citation} and I am unable to scroll in LibreOffice.
    3. So, I then quit both LibreOffice and Zotero in order to re-open them to see if the citations will be in Chicago style upon re-opening.
    4. After quitting LibreOffice an error message pops-up saying ‘Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?’
    5. And, after clicking ‘Quit Zotero,’ Zotero crashes. And, when I re-open Zotero I am presented with an error message saying, ‘zotero quit unexpectedly’ (I’m using a Mac). The error message comes with a report, I’ve got a copy of it, I’m not sure if it will be useful for you.
    6. When I re-open the odt file generated by the ODF Scan in LibreOffice, the citations are still displayed as {Citation}.
  • So that I understand correctly, the markers after scan are all in endnotes? I'd try playing with that a bit: convert the endnotes to footnotes in LibreOffice and save again, then try setting the citation style. Also make sure you wait a while after setting the citation style -- it sounds like you're interrupting a process that can take a while.