Error working on a document saved in OneDrive

edited February 28, 2023
I get an error when trying to work on a existing document saved in OneDrive. The error goes away when I work on a copy in the local drive. I read here https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents that OneDrive can interfere with the plugin. Does anyone know how to fix this?
  • It says right on that page:
    If using OneDrive on Windows, save the copy of the document to your local hard drive, or try renaming the file to remove any spaces in the filename. OneDrive is known to interfere with the plugin for some people.
  • Brilliant!! Thanks!! The purpose of working on OneDrive is that one doesn´t need to make local copies when working from different locations. Hope anyone has found a solution that allows people to work on OneDrive.
  • Did you read the text I pasted?
    try renaming the file to remove any spaces in the filename
    That's the only fix for this we know of.
  • Have you tried removing spaces in the filename as suggested? -- afaik that has worked for anyone who recently had any issues with OneDrive & Zotero.
  • Yes. I went through all the 11 steps outlined right on that page before posting. Thanks for your suggestions though.
  • I'm not sure what's going on here. We've now said repeatedly that you can fix this by removing spaces in the filename. That's the fix. There's no other fix. I'm not sure why you're not engaging with what we're telling you.
  • I'm not sure why you're not engaging with what I´m telling you: I went through all the 11 steps outlined right on that page before posting. My filename does not have spaces. Just a simple finaldraft.docx
  • Because you gave no indication that you were actually reading the documentation or what we've been saying to you. You linked to a page that explains how to fix this and asked if anyone knows how to fix it. Then I quoted the text that explains how to fix it and you thanked me and said you hope someone has found a fix. Then two of us said exactly what to do and all you said is that you went through the steps, without acknowledging that you actually tried that specific fix, which as adamsmith says almost always works for people.

If you can reproduce this with a file without spaces, provide a Debug ID for doing so.