Error inserting one particular citation

In a LibreOffice document in which I've inserted other citations, and can continue to insert other citations, there's one particular citation (corresponding to DOI 10.7554/eLife.56261) for which I get the message 'Zotero experienced an error updating your document.' The error persists even after I delete all content from the document.
Report ID = 609976056
  • This is under Windows 10 with LibreOffice Version 7.3.2.2 (x64).

I tried multiple citation styles but it made no difference.

- Robert
  • Works fine for me -- did you add that item by DOI or from the elife website? (Trying to get the exact same data into Zotero for testing)

What happens if you insert that item into a new LO document?
  • I added it to my Zotero using the DOI. It works fine if I insert it into a new document.
  • Run through these to the extent that you haven't already
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents and see the final step, i.e. creating the smallest viable document that still triggers this error, send to Zotero support with a link to this thread.
  • I'd already done that, hopefully correctly. Thanks.
  • Sorry. I wrote the e-mail message to Zotero support right after starting this thread but apparently I didn't send it. I've just done it now.

I also apologize for forgetting to say at the start that I'd tried inserting the citation into a blank document, causing you to waste time trying it.

- Robert
  • There is a bug in LibreOffice that breaks Zotero citing when a paragraph style has a "Next Style" property set (in paragraph style preferences, under "Organizer"). We've reported it to LibreOffice, but it's unclear if/when it will get attention. You can fix it by removing the Next Style property from any custom styles you create for the document.
  • In this document I do in fact have 'Next Style' set so the paragraph styles alternate. Based on your tip, I discovered that I can insert this particular citation in the document by not inserting it at the end of its paragraph :-) Thanks!

The problem occurs only with this one citation (so far). Other citations can be added to the end of the paragraph with no problem.
  • You will only see this error for citations that contain non-latin or accented characters.
  • Ah. This is one of the few citations I have that contains a decorated character (รง).
    Thanks again.