Save to Zotero (Google Scholar) not working

Inserting references from Google Scholar works fine from a fresh mozilla profile. But from my old profile (which I don't want to change) it does not, not even if I disable all other extensions, clear indices and update translators.

Version 2.0b7.6. The debug info is below.

Gail

(3)(+0016248): HTTP GET http://scholar.google.ca/scholar.bib?q=info:6aiafr9joaEJ:scholar.google.com/&output=citation&hl=en&as_sdt=2000&ct=citation&cd=4

(4)(+0001033): Translate: Binding sandbox to http://www.example.com/

(4)(+0000001): Translate: Parsing code for BibTeX

(4)(+0000011): Translate: Setting configure option dataMode to block

(4)(+0000000): Translate: Setting display option exportCharset to UTF-8

(3)(+0000005): Translate: Translation successful

(3)(+0000001): Translate: Translation successful

(5)(+0000000): Translate: running handler 0 for done

(4)(+0012240): Registering observer for [collection,search,share,group,bucket] in notifier with hash rQ'

(5)(+0000003): SELECT itemTypeID AS id, typeName AS name FROM itemTypes WHERE display=2 ORDER BY typeName

(5)(+0000001): SELECT itemTypeID AS id, typeName AS name FROM itemTypes WHERE display=1 ORDER BY typeName
  • hm... noone responding. So maybe I should ask: What's wrong here? - Or: What other info can be provided to be helpful?

I really love Zotero, but without a working Google Scholar it is of little value for me.

Gail
  • Gail,
    I'm not sure why the seasoned troubleshooters haven't stepped in. If you can, it would help to submit your error and debug reports, from the Gear menu and Advanced tab of the preferences, respectively. The Zotero team finds the more complete information in those reports more useful in most cases.

Since it doesn't happen except in this one profile, this bug is likely going to be hard to nail down and fix. If it can't be diagnosed, then you may want to look into clearing out some of the cruft from the old Mozilla profile-- it should be possible to delete certain files from the profile directory, perhaps fixing this bug.
  • I guess this error is related to

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/9450

which is reproducible even from a clean mozilla profile. Just set the scholar preferences to bibtex, click 'import into bibtex' and then 'save to zotero'.

Gail
  • Gail,

See my response on the other post. This looks like a fairly straightforward issue that should be fixable.
  • I really love Zotero, but without a working Google Scholar it is of little value for me.
    The Google Scholar translator works fine. See my response in the other thread.
  • edited December 23, 2009
    Reopening this thread due to Gail's report of a failure at this URL (though this is unrelated to the above BibTeX issue):

http://scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=precipitation&hl=en&btnG=Search&as_sdt=2001&as_sdtp=on
  • Gail: That's a fluke with that particular page if you don't have your GS prefs set to display BibTeX links. The translator normally resets it to BibTeX mode automatically, but the current test in the translator is just for a link that contains ".bib", and one of the reference links on that page happens to have a ".bib" in the middle of the URL. We'll fix the test, but manually setting your GS prefs to show BibTeX links should also do the trick.
  • An updated GS translator that fixes the issue on the "precipitation" results page has been pushed to clients. Your copy of Zotero should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Now in the General pane of the Zotero prefs.
  • But now I am left with the problem that it still does not work on my original profile. Here are the crucial debug lines where my (debug1) and the clean profile (debug2) diverge.

debug1:
    (3)(+0000006): Translate: Translation successful
    (3)(+0000000): Translate: Translation successful
    (5)(+0000000): Translate: running handler 0 for done

debug2:
    (2)(+0000001): cleanString() is deprecated; use trimInternal() instead
    (4)(+0000008): Translate: Calling done from parent sandbox
    (5)(+0000000): Translate: running handler 0 for itemDone
  • And just to be clear, saving from the actual BibTeX file still won't work (and isn't intended to, though I created a ticket on the thread for that issue).
  • The url was again this one:

http://scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=precipitation&hl=en

I just wonder what in my profile could make it disfunctional.
  • Do you have "Accept third-party cookies" enabled in the Privacy pane of the Firefox preferences? Have you followed the troubleshooting steps? Note that this is unrelated to your original issue (for scholar.bib).
  • The cookies did the trick - blame on me that I did not follow the troubleshooting steps. But it seems that this was in fact my original issue (the debug info above didn't really show that.)

Thanks.