Greyed out Zotero Chrome Connector but cannot pin via Extensions menu

Hello,

I am reporting an issue a student has raised with me. I've not seen it before, but hopefully you can advise.

She mentioned that her Chrome Connector wasn't functioning correctly, e.g., it didn't show the appropriate icon when saving a book, article, set of results from a library catalogue, etc.

I asked her to check her extensions and ensure Zotero was pinned. There is no pin next to Zotero in extensions. This is what she sees:

https://imgur.com/a/GFD6XyI

I haven't met with her to try to fix it yet, so I thought I'd ask here whether there was an obvious way to resolve it. Would clicking the ellipses next to the crossed through 'eye' (?) give some options to fix it?

Thanks for any help in advance

Best,
Kevin
  • She's using Edge, not Chrome, and Edge just uses a different icon for pinning.
  • Thanks, I only noticed that once I sent the message - I thought the student was using Chrome. I've looked at how this works in Edge and it should be reliable. I think you can just click on the crossed through eye icon (if that's what it is) and it should work.
  • Yes.

And I'd guess that it's grayed out because she's viewing a local PDF file, which the Connector can't operate on — it can only work on webpages and remote PDFs. (It's not grayed out for me when viewing a local PDF, but it still won't work.) If you have a local PDF, you would just drag it to the Zotero app from the filesystem.