Google Chrome

The last thread about Chrome was closed in favor of an "official" FAQ where users can't comment. Unless something drastic changes, and soon, Zotero WILL have to address the problem of compatibility with Chrome. Like it or not, last week Chrome suddenly burst onto the scene of legitimate browsers with it's recent introduction of the official extensions gallery. Now, even in its infancy, Chrome is already light-years ahead of FireFox. Don't get me wrong, I loved FireFox. And, I've only used Chrome for a total of 3 days. But, I am so blown away by Chrome that I have now stripped Firefox of everything except Zotero because Chrome does it all too, and Chrome does it better.

I understand that there is an inordinate amount of work involved in making the switch to Chrome, but I'm predicting that either the Zotero staff will be smart and make it happen or else our beloved Zotero will die only to be replaced by a newer, better Google Chrome research tool.

Who knows? Maybe FireFox has another trick up its sleeve to regain the allegiance of traitors like me. But, there are just so many drastic changes that would have to be made. I can't see it happening. In the mean time, check out Chrome. It really is that great (and no one's paying me to say so).
  • @rdtaylorjr: I am very glad to hear that you are happy with your browser software, and I'm delighted to hear that a newer, better Google Chrome research tool is in the offing. Please keep us informed.
  • edited December 16, 2009
    That's not what I meant. There is no research tool for Chrome yet.

However, as good as Chrome is, I think one will be necessary. I hope Zotero won't keep dismissing the issue and trying to stifle discussion by closing threads like this one.
    The "browser compatibility" FAQ page is a complete cop-out. From the FAQ page:

"Various HTML 5 API proposals, Google Chrome, and/or Opera Widgets might provide partial support for some of these things, but nowhere near what would be needed to approximate current Zotero functionality."

Of course Zotero for Chrome won't immediately be as great and wonderful as the original. It will take some time. No one questions that. The great thing about Chrome is that it is just getting started. New features are being added constantly. This long list of supposed impossibilities will be depleted by the time Zotero's developers get around to implementing them.

So, back to my original complaint, why does Zotero insist on dismissing the issue rather than constructively engaging it?
    For all my complaining, let me clarify that the only reason I'm so concerned about this is because Zotero is so incredibly awesome. I can't survive without it anymore. So, please don't think I'm trying to tear down Zotero's excellent staff. Instead, I'm simply trying to encourage some helpful discussion about how Zotero can legitimately move forward as the best and most useful tool available for researchers.

...now back to my research paper!
  • No one has argued against a port to Google Chrome as a matter of principle; it's just one of those problems that can be solved with a sufficient infusion of money or manpower, and can't be solved without.
  • I'm simply trying to encourage some helpful discussion
    but at this point opening the umpteenth thread on how awesome Chrome is and how foolish Zotero for not using it's incredible manpower of, uhm, two to implement Zotero in Chrome isn't helpful at all.
    IMHO the only two statements that would make yet another Chrome thread helpful are
    1) I have organized substantial funding in excess of $500.000 to fund full-time development on Zotero for Chrome and would like to talk about how to best use that money or
    2) I or we have highly advanced coding abilities and a lot of time and would like to port Zotero to Chrome

Anything else is just not adding anything to the discussion that hasn't been said multiple times already.
    And if you believe that a superior bibliographic add-on is going to emerge on chrome anyway, then what's the concern? I'm as attached to Zotero as the next guy, but if a vastly superior alternative comes out on a vastly superior browser I'll switch happily.
    However, as good as Chrome is, I think one will be necessary. I hope Zotero won't keep dismissing the issue and trying to stifle discussion by closing threads like this one.
    These threads are a waste of everybody's time. People at Zotero have repeatedly and patiently explained why a) Chrome does not have the technical infrastructure to do a port, and that, b) even if it did, Zotero would not have the resources to do it.

Every time people spend time contributing to threads like this is time not spent on helping people with real issues. So it's entirely appropriate to "stifle" these sorts of discussions.
  • Bullish stubbornness isn't going to insure the survival of Zotero, FYI. Chrome users are quickly going to surpass Firefox users and your inability to evolve into, at the very least, a cross-browser extension is surely your own death knell. And your foolish dismissal of these threads borders on mockery (and cuddle-hugs blatant ignorance).

I like Zotero.

I like Zotero a lot.

With that said, after spending the last 30 minutes reading how you've been handling this subject since 2008 I can't pretend to be unexcited when someone beats you to porting your own extension to Chrome. And trust me when I say it will happen. And trust me when I say it will be used. And trust me when I say you will be forgotten.

Good day.
  • "Bullish stubbornness", "your inability", "your own death knell", "your foolish dismissal", "you will be forgotten".

Sorry, but you end up in the troll basket: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
  • Right.

"And your foolish dismissal of these threads borders on mockery (and cuddle-hugs blatant ignorance)."

Bazinga.
  • edited May 18, 2010
    @trench: read a bit more.

In the list of reasons for spending several thousand hours nailed to a console, "being remembered" doesn't, I think, rank very high. The "Donate" button at the top of the page on the right is probably a more effective way of infusing the project with a desire for self-preservation.
  • :-)

btw. who is this "you" you are talking about?
    If someone ports Zotero to Chrome it will - by the terms of the license - still be free and open source and thus still belong to "us" - I don't see that as a threat in the least. On the contrary - I'd be happy if someone does.
  • Ditto adamsmith.

I would love to see a Chrome extension. I'd also love to see a native Android client application that can interact with Zotero servers. But that's not the same thing as me coming here and demanding the Zotero developers create these tools, and lambasting them if they say they don't have the resources.

That said, it might help to encourage third-party development of these sorts of things if the server APIs were well-documented and promoted?
  • @fbennett: "Remembered" was just reflective of the nonfunctional, deceased role Zotero could have in the future. I'd much prefer Zotero remain _known_. Known is a recognized, active state of being. Remembered is the past-tense of that. In order to pursue an active state of being one must consistently adapt.

I'm glad you linked me to the standalone project. That's awesome to read. But it would have been better had I read that in the FAQ instead of some stupid bit about Chrome's inability to handle the massive power of Zotero. o_o

In the end, it was my memory (e.g., "remembering") of an ultra-cool extension I had for Firefox that brought me back here in the first place. I don't use Firefox anymore. At all. So i had to do some work to even unearth what the extension was called. By the time I find the name, the site, and then the forum... all I can find is a bunch of extremely ignorant and ill-informed remarks about Google Chrome that span a two-year period.

Perhaps I didn't do enough research to find the standalone product. But more important - perhaps the archived (and constantly closed) threads in this forum turned me off to such a degree that I didn't really care to do anymore research.

Relevance (beyond the community) and preservation are two things every project should strive for.

@adamsmith: Porting Zotero to Chrome would require changes. Enough changes to qualify it as its own entity. The extension, in the end, is just like any other - it's a feature-set. Feature-sets are bound by no license. My point was that someone will replace Zotero if Zotero doesn't adapt to the new Chromium world.

@bdarcus I'd love to see a Chrome extension as well. I didn't jump in here looking to lambaste anyone... but reading those Chrome threads is frustrating. The icing on the cake was finding them closed rather than being openly discussed. At one point I saw a developer suggest the only feasible way to port Zotero to Chrome was $500,000.

Seriously?

What kind of resources are you needing? Street-corner resources? Black-market resources? Dilithium resources? Please.

Screw third-party development, I think it's time for new-party development.

http://www.zotero.org/getinvolved/

The first thing listed under the dev section is a translator. Funny, that - considering a translator is built into Chrome.
  • The translators that the "Get Involved" page refers to are site translators; the little bits of code that pull useful metadata from thousands of sites on the internet to make it easy to save items from the web. Site translators (and import/export translators) are in fact the easiest way to start coding Zotero, and they are actually quite likely to be cross-platform; they could still be leveraged by a Chrome extension used in conjunction with stand-alone Zotero.

The resources that Zotero needs are developers. Developers can volunteer themselves, and some have -- fbennett and adamsmith have both made very significant contributions to the citation system, and have done so in a way that encourages ports; their work is being used Mendeley already. That said, a major project to bring full Zotero functionality cannot be taken on by the team of 1-2 developers that CHNM has the funding for. It would cost at least several thousand dollars in developers' time to get something going for Chrome or mobile devices, and a well-developed system would indeed cost tens of thousands of dollars (or the equivalent in lots of donated time from talented people).
  • And it would be ridiculous for Dan to switch gears and redo everything for Chrome when there are many, many issues with Zotero that still need work.
  • Thanks for the translation of translators. :) My bad.

I haven't seen anyone asking Zotero to switch gears for Chrome. No one's saying "stop FF development, start Chromium development". What I think we want is just a simple attempt at a somewhat functional version of Zotero for Chrome.

A perfect example of how issues like this should be handled can be found with the developer(s) of Scribefire - the (Firefox) blogging tool. Read this, it was handled beautifully:

http://code.google.com/p/scribefire/issues/detail?id=1276

Scribefire for Firefox and Scribefire for Chrome are not exactly the same. Nor were they expected to be. But the acknowledgement that the need _for something_ was quite astute. And this is what we applauded.

If someone needs help, that's cool - but help must be asked for before it can be obtained. Acknowledge that Zotero needs a Chrome port and mayhap the developers will come.
  • edited May 18, 2010
    @trench:
    What kind of resources are you needing? Street-corner resources? Black-market resources? Dilithium resources? Please.
    Ultimately, it's a matter of time. Zotero development has primarily happened through paid labor (with some exceptions; for example fbennett's great work on an updated citation formatter, a lot of work by a variety of people on building up the style repository, etc.). There's only so many people they can afford to pay to write the code, and only so much they can do in a day. Hence the need for balancing competing priorities.

My point about third-parties is really just the observation that anyone can start up a project to create a Chrome extension that works with the Zotero servers. There's no reason legal, technical, or social that requires that it be done under the umbrella of zotero.org.
    What I think we want is just a simple attempt at a somewhat functional version of Zotero for Chrome.
    And what do you think would fulfill this goal? A simple bookmarklet that allowed you to click it to load new citations into your account? Something like one of the Chrome extension to delicous that provide a nicer UI on top of that?
  • trench - one last comment -
    I don't get the impression that you're actually very interested in the technical details - at least you don't address a single technical question in any of your post. Unfortunately, they do matter. Porting relatively simple extensions such as scribefire not the same as porting Zotero, a highly complex application.
    So you're really comparing apples and... injection engines here.

The fact that the reactions to ever more Chrome Threads are increasingly annoyed is not just that people keep asking, it's also that they keep asking in the same, unhelpful manner. It's always "you _have_ to do that", "Chrome will _definitely_ annihilate Firefox", frequently mixed with some more or less mild insults - and after a while that repeated pattern just become a little annoying. As you see, people still respond with (imho) surprising patience.

No one, literally no one who has asked/demanded about Chrome support has taken the time to make specific suggestions how even some of the technical issues could be addressed.
    No one has made a specific commitment of either time or money - neither here, nor on the Chrome forum where a Zotero thread exists.

The 500.000 Dollar figure is from me and not from a core developer - it's obviously not a clear cut figure and if you look at the post it's clear that it highlights a general need, not a specific sum. My purpose was to illustrate that porting Zotero to Chrome is a serious undertaking that requires significant resources - and not a couple of hours (or even days) of developer time. The idea that it's possible to find qualified people outside of the Zotero user community who would just volunteer this time is, mildly speaking, wildly optimistic. If you look at who advanced open source projects it's pretty much exclusively dedicated users or paid programmers.
  • To top off this thread with some helpful information, it has been possible all this time to connect Chrome with Zotero-in-Firefox (and with the browser-agnostic Standalone when a stable version is released). A lot less blood, sweat and tears would have been spilled if this had been advertised more widely. I see a role here for the Zotero blog, but failing that, I've posted some instructions on my own blog: Zotero for Chrome and Safari.
  • edited July 21, 2011
    Closing this thread, which predated Zotero's support for Chrome (and the grant funding and technical improvements in Chrome that enabled it).
This discussion has been closed.