Sync problem between Devices and Dropbox

Hello, I am using both Device A and Device B and I am using zotero and zotfiles to sync files through Dropbox.
I didn't have these issue before, but somehow recently, I faced a problem that I don't have access, in Device B, to some papers that I downloaded in Device A's Zotero with this error massage,
"The attached file could not be found at the following path:

C:\Users\Username\Zotero\storage\323LZZEU\Falck et al. - European Labor Markets How Can We Effectively Man.pdf

It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero, or, if the file was added on another computer, it may not yet have been synced to or from zotero.org."

I checked and synced again in all devices including my zotero.org but it produced the same problem. I found that I also don't have this files in Dropbox (why??). Currently, all the "linked attachment base dirctory" in the "advanced Zotero preferences" is set to "C:\Users\Username\Dropbox\20.Zotero" across all the devices and "location of files" in "zotfile preferences" is "C:\Users\Username\Dropbox\20.Zotero"

Any help will be highly appreciated.
  • edited February 14, 2023
    Note that we can't help with linked-file setups from plugins. Zotero itself only creates stored files for standard saves, regardless of the Linked Attachment Base Directory setting.
  • edited February 14, 2023
    It looks like you currently have everything set correctly for Zotfile to *save* PDFs to the Custom Location in Dropbox. You also have the LABD where Zotero then *looks* for them set correctly. So I assume that all works correctly for anything saved today by the Zotero web Connector, ie the PDF ends up in Dropbox and is accessible from both machines ?

But the error message you got is saying that *some* files can't be found in *local Zotero storage* on machine B.

So it's likely they those PDFs were either stored on machine A before you had Zotfile (and you never synced those files to Zotero servers/machine B), OR they were stored there in ways that Zotfile does not manage (eg drag and drop a PDF into Zotero). In that case they would never have ended up in the Dropbox location where Zotero on machine B could find them.

If so, the simple solution would be to go to machine A that has those PDFs and use Zotfile's right click Manage Attachments\Rename and Move to move them from local Zotero storage on machine A (assuming they do exist there) to Zotfile's Custom Location in Dropbox. Then they should be accessible there from machine B.