*Solved. There was an error starting Zotero - New internal hard drive due to a recent crashing

edited February 13, 2023
Hi, I'm receiving the following error message after having replaced the internal hard-drive in my macbook:

There was an error starting Zotero.

You can report this problem in the Zotero Forums.

Error: Could not open connection to /Users/williamkearney/Zotero/zotero.sqlite: 2153971714
openConnection/</<@resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:945:21
From previous event:
Zotero.DBConnection.prototype._getConnectionAsync@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:1191:30
Error: Could not open connection to /Users/williamkearney/Zotero/zotero.sqlite: 2153971714
openConnection/</<@resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:945:21
From previous event:
Zotero.DBConnection.prototype._getConnectionAsync@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:1191:30

Apologies if someone has already asked a similar question, the solutions I've come across in the forum just don't seem to be working for me but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm doing something wrong
  • I had a few zotero.sqlite files in the Zotero directory for some reason. When I deleted all those I was able to open the desktop programme and repopulate it by synching
  • zotero.sqlite and various automatic backup files are supposed to be there, but the main file may have been damaged. 2153971714 is a generic storage I/O error, so we can't really say much more than that.

If you've been using syncing, it's fine to just pull down data from the online library.