Zotero unlinking citations in google docs

I am writing a book in individual googledoc chapters, using Zotero citations. I recently pasted all chapters together into a main doc. I made some edits in the main doc, and then pasted the chapters back into the individual chapter files. Now I see that in some -- but not all -- of the chapters the citations have become unlinked. When I hit Zotero-> refresh, I get an error message saying the citations are unlinked, and all of the citations in the chapter turn red.

I consulted the instructions in this post: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/91644/citations-unlinking-in-google-docs/p1
And in the help pages about googledocs unlinking citations.

The advice to relink the citations is not tenable-- there are thousands of citations that were linked before the copy-paste into a main document file. Even if I were to do this, because I don't know why they unlinked, I am not confident this wouldn't happen again.

What can I do: both to fix this problem and to ensure that future copying and pasting doesn't reproduce the bug?
  • edited February 9, 2023
    See https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/google_docs_citations_unlinked, which explains the known causes of this and how to restore the citations using Google Docs version history.

If you can reproduce citations becoming unlinked, we'd want to see a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector for doing so — but note the part in the linked page about the warning only appearing after the unlinking. You have to confirm by refreshing that the citations were still active before the action you performed.
  • edited February 13, 2023
    Because I made substantial edits in the document before I noticed the citations were unlinked, using google docs history to restore the document to a time when the citations were linked is not a feasible/realistic solution. I will have to re-link the citations, but since I'm working with hundreds/thousands of citations this will take a lot of time.

It says that known causes include pasting from word, but that was not the case here. All pasting was done between google docs. There are different people with access to the document, but all use the Zotero connector. I don't know if it will be possible to reproduce the error, but if so, I'll let you know.