European Legislation

Is there any way to reference properly to the EU legislation? I mean fill in only those fields in "Statue" type record that the result will more or less resemble what is required by Harvard citation, which should look like that:

Citation in your text:
(Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental
Freedoms)
Reference list/bibliography:
Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental
Freedoms (European Human Rights Convention) (Rome, 4 November
1950; T.S. 71(1953)); Cmd. 8969.
  • Proper legal citation is a work in progress. If you would like to participate, please feel free to join the zotero-legal list.
  • Glad to hear that :) Thanks for the invitation.
  • If you prefer to do the work here instead, here are a few questions:

European Human Rights Convention -- is this a short title for the treaty?

Rome -- this is the place of signing, right?

4 November 1950 -- the date of signing, right?

T.S. 71 -- reporter and ... ?
    - what does the number represent?
    - what is the full name of the reporter?
    - is this reporter bound to a particular jurisdiction, or does it cover treaties generally?

Cmd. 8969 -- if I remember correctly, comand numbers are a British thing ... this is a reference to Hansard or something?

Is there something special about European legislation that requires a discrete form of citations, or would other treaties involving other bodies contain roughly the same information in the same form and order?

Frank
  • It's not like I'm fussy about joing "zotero-legal" list. I'm just finishing one paper on Friday and didn't have time to do it. To answer your question, relevant are as follows:

1. Official title (italics)
    Convention for the Protection of Human Rights
    and Fundamental Freedoms

2. Popular title if
    (European Human Rights Convention)
    applicable (italics)

3. City of signature
    (Rome)

4. Date of signature
    4 November 1950;

5. Treaty series number and year
    T.S. 71(1953));

6.Number of the latest command paper in
    which the treaty
    was issued
    Cmd. 8969.

EU legislation is specific as it encompasses treaties and sets of directives, regulations (Article 249 TEC) each having specific numerations. If you look at the Harvard guide here: http://www.rgu.ac.uk/library/howto/page.cfm?pge=25531 they nicely outlined all the relevant fields.