Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.moveTo]

Hi. I hope I'm not out of line, since I posted this yesterday on an old thread that reported a similar problem, but I've since seen that people are advised to start new threads when they had problems.

My debug ID is: D1067189579

I've reset zotero to download from the server and first got "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.create]"

I tried again and got "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.moveto]" and have been getting that on this computer since. The debug ID has zotero running on an entirely reinstalled firefox and with zotero dev downloaded from svc. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10. Strangely I was able to complete a perfect download to another computer (also running Ubuntu 9.10 etc).

I'm a total amateur, but my reading of the debug info suggests that zotero thinks the download is complete. It's not. The download to the other pc confirms that there is more data on the server than there is on the pc that produces the error.
  • edited December 14, 2009
    Report ID?

I believe you should be getting a message about ecrypt and filename length in Report Errors. (I've just checked in a patch to move that message to the sync error window instead.)

The file in question has a 150-character filename, which, if you're using eCryptfs, could be too long.
  • Thanks so much for coming back to me. I genuinely appreciate it.

Re Ecrypt, that would do it alright! I was trying to figure out the difference between the two computers and that's precisely it: the one producing the error has an encrypted home partition and the other doesn't.

I've updated zotero-dev and now I'm getting:

"Error creating file 'Loan20Losses20and20the20Macroeconomy20-20A20Framework20for20Stress20Testing20Irish20Credit20Institutions20Financial20Well-Being20by20Allan20Kearns.pdf' (Are you using filesystem encryption such as eCryptfs that results in a filename length limit below 255 bytes?)"

Er, I think I can see why that fileaname might just be a wee bit unpalatable! I'll change or delete it locally and see how I get on.

My report ID is 1814958908 if it's any help to you going forward, though I would say that eccentric filenames like this certainly count as my problem not yours! Thanks again and keep up the good work.