An Error Occurred While Rendering the Page

I'm getting a message above when I try to open a pdf of a book in zotero--the pages open blankly and above it says "An Error occurred while rendering the page". The pdf opens fine in Adobe. The error itself when I read more is:

PDF.js v2.8.0 (build: fdde957)
Stack: putBinaryImageData@resource://zotero/pdf-reader/pdf.js:13341:9
CanvasGraphics_paintInlineImageXObject@resource://zotero/pdf-reader/pdf.js:14833:9
CanvasGraphics_paintImageXObject@resource://zotero/pdf-reader/pdf.js:14783:7
CanvasGraphics_executeOperatorList@resource://zotero/pdf-reader/pdf.js:13579:11
_next@resource://zotero/pdf-reader/pdf.js:12132:30
_scheduleNext/<@resource://zotero/pdf-reader/pdf.js:12120:11
  • edited January 28, 2023
    This usually happens if a PDF file has very large scanned images. This might improve in future versions, but for now the best we can suggest is reprocess the file to have lower-resolution images or to just open the file with another PDF reader. (Usually in this case the files don't open very well in most other PDF readers either without reprocessing.)

If you link to the PDF or send a link to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread, we can take a look, but there's probably not much we can do.
  • Thanks! Compressed the pdf and reattached it, and the compressed version opens in zotero.

Thanks again for the guidance!
  • If you are using Zotero PDF Preview, try disabling this extension. https://github.com/windingwind/zotero-pdf-preview