Unable to successfully install Zotero

I'm working with a user (I'm a librarian) who is trying to install Zotero on their Mac. Every time they click on the downloaded file to install, they receive the following message:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.create]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/ipc.js :: Zotero.IPC</this.init :: line 36" data: no]
Zotero.IPC</this.init@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/ipc.js:36:9
this.init<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js:372:7
From previous event:
ZoteroService@file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/components/zotero-service.js:347:7
@chrome://zotero/content/include.js:4:14

We tried to restore their data folder -- I could not even find one on their computer. Thank you for any help you can provide!
  • Have they used Zotero before on this computer?

Are they running any non-standard security software?

Did they move their Zotero data directory to a nonstandard location (e.g., a network share), or did this just happen the first they opened Zotero?

If they can access the Help menu, can they provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option? Otherwise, see Reporting Startup Errors for a way to provide a Debug ID.
  • They have not used Zotero before on the computer, and did not move the data directory. I'll find out about the security software and will get a Debug ID. Thanks!