Zotero icon does not show up in Firefox toolbar

Hi. I just installed the Zotero extension on the latest version of Firefox on my Mac OS Mojave.
I a trying to customise the toolbar and place the Z icon on toolbar so I can easily save links. Strangely, I am unable to see the Z icon in the customise toolbar options.
The extension is enabled and everything seems to be fine.
How can I get the Z icon so I can actually start saving links?
Thanks.
  • Thanks! This seems to have helped. Though there seems to be some issue with the Firefox menu. I am unable to remove the extensions button icon, and I don't see the overflow menu icon.
    I had deleted the FF profile some time ago, and have recently re-installed it. Maybe, that' the cause of these issues.
    But for now, I am able to save links.
  • Hi all,

I recently moved to a new M1 MacBook Pro, and cannot now see the connector button on Firefox after fresh installs of both it and Zotero. I have tried everything in the above link. The connector is visible in Firefox.

Any ideas anyone?
  • Same for me: no zotero icon after fresh install of everything. Works fine in Edge though.
  • After further tinkering, it seems that I am unable to find any add on button in FF 110.0 - so it seems that the issue is on their end.
  • Yes, the Zotero Connector is a standard Firefox extension. If it doesn't show up, that's entirely an issue in your Firefox profile. As explained on the linked page, if you can't figure it out, you may need to create a new Firefox profile.
  • Thanks. I found out that for me just signing out, then back in solved the issue. Hope it helps.
  • I am having the issue noted above. "I a trying to customise the toolbar and place the Z icon on toolbar so I can easily save links. Strangely, I am unable to see the Z icon in the customise toolbar options. The extension is enabled and everything seems to be fine. "

Trying to add the Zotero icon to the menu bar in a new profile did not resolve it. The issue seems to be specific to Firefox, running 114.0.1 (64-bit), as I am not having this issue using the built-in Zotero connector in Safari. (MacBookPro late 2019 using Ventura 13.4).
  • @cnewf: You're almost certainly just looking in the wrong place. It wouldn't be in the Customize Toolbar palette. If it's not in the main toolbar, it would just be in the Extensions menu, as explained on No Toolbar Button.
  • Zotero Connector has been downloaded and it does appear in my Extensions pane. It is enabled, and I've verified core functionality is checked under permissions. But it does not appear in the Customize pane so that i can add it to the menu bar. Perhaps there's another way of adding it to the menu bar but I don't know what that would be.
  • edited June 13, 2023
    Not the Extensions pane — the Extensions menu at the end of the toolbar. Again, it's not going to be in Customize. All Firefox extensions are added to the toolbar automatically, but some may be placed in the overflow menu if your window is too narrow or the Extensions menu if you haven't pinned them.
  • I understand. The Zotero icon is not in the overflow menu. It is in the Extensions menu (it is downloaded and active), so I can use it by clicking on the puzzle piece in the toolbar and then clicking on Zotero. However, I don't know how to pin the Zotero icon to the toolbar menu, where it was for years, because it doesn't show up in the Customize pane.
  • Click the gear icon and select Pin to Toolbar.
  • that did not work, but did make Zotero Connector disappear from the Extensions drop down from the toolbar icon. the Zotero icon has now vanished completely. All other toolbar items can be added or removed in the normal way.
  • edited June 14, 2023
    @cnewf: If you pin it from there, it would move to the main toolbar section or the overflow menu. I suspect you're just overlooking it. Note that the icon changes depending on what page you're on.

The Zotero Connector is a standard Firefox extension. We have no control over how Firefox handles it, but it will work like every other extension.
  • it's not being overlooked. I re-downloaded connector and can save to Zotero by using it inside the Extensions drop-down menu. This is not ideal. I've resolved the issue by making Safari my default browser.
  • edited June 15, 2023
    Again, if you're having trouble, you should try in a new Firefox profile. This is entirely standard Firefox functionality, and it would be extremely unusual if it didn't work, but it's possible something is corrupted in your existing Firefox profile. You should obviously make sure you're running a current version of Firefox.

If you're still having trouble after updating Firefox and trying in a new profile, make a screen recording of what you're doing and where you're looking, upload it somewhere (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.), and either provide a link here or email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.

Safari has a more limited extension framework and a less-featureful Zotero Connector because of it, so you wouldn't want to switch to that if you're not already using Safari for other reasons.
  • ironically this issue began when my profile seemed to be corrupted and I created a new one. This issue belongs to the new profile that doesn't have any records from the previous one.

I appreciate your vigilance and recognize that this is Firefox not Zotero.
  • I have exactly the same issue. I am familiar enough with Firefox to be confident that I am not looking in the wrong place. Maybe this is a Firefox issue - although it hasn't affected any other extensions - but PLEASE try to believe people when they report a problem, rather than telling them they are wrong.
  • OK, tested in a new profile and the same applies: The Zotero Connector is present as an installed extension in about:addons, but the Z button does not appear anywhere: not on a toolbar, not in the Customize view, not in the overflow box.

This is a corporate (university) laptop which is quite heavily locked down in some ways, and this is the only one of my Firefox extensions that has to be installed from a third party website rather than within Firefox.
    Now if that were disallowed by policy I'd have expected to get a message telling me so, rather than to have the extension install and not quite work.... but perhaps it's a useful data point?
  • edited July 27, 2023
    @swaldman: You’re misreading the above thread — people are describing different things, and in most cases this is genuinely due to people looking in the wrong place and/or misunderstanding what they’re supposed to see. If you think that’s not the case for you, then the exact same thing applies that I said above:
    If you're still having trouble after updating Firefox and trying in a new profile, make a screen recording of what you're doing and where you're looking, upload it somewhere (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.), and either provide a link here or email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.