Zotero Connector does not download PDF on Safari, but does on Chrome

Hello.

Here is a problem I have been having since I have installed Zotero Connector on Safari.

I am a researcher, and I download academic papers every day. These papers are generally behind a paywall, but using my university affiliation get me access to these. Once that authentication is done, I proceed to clicking the Zotero connector button, to add the metadata and the PDF to my Zotero library. While this works just fine on Chrome, it most generally fails to download the PDF when using Safari (which I prefer to use on my MacBook, when homeworking).

Here is the debug output for the attempted download of a paper from Safari, after having gone through the authentication process to get free access to the PDF: D191273525.

Doing exactly the same for the same paper on Chrome, Zotero Connector was able to download the paper to my library. But the pdf is not available (red cross) from Safari.
This has happened several times.

Note that I have just downloaded a pdf without problem from bioxriv, using Safari, so that the problem seems to be more focused on papers published in paying journals, or journals requiring an institutional log-in.

Many thanks for your help with this.
  • I forgot to mention this, in case it is important:

I am using Safari Version 16.2 (18614.3.7.1.5) on a MacBook Pro M1 Pro, on the OS Ventura 13.1.

And I have Zotero 6.0.19 installed.
  • Unfortunately due to limitations of Safari saving resources behind paywalls, particularly PDFs cannot work as well as it does on Chrome, Firefox or Edge. You can either download those PDFs manually and attach them to saved items or use Chrome.
  • Thanks a lot for responding to this so quickly! I'll simply switch to Chrome then.
    All the best,
    David