Style Request: Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics (CQHCE)

Hi

I am preparing a manuscript for the CQHCE and it has a rather idiosyncratic style. It is ICMJE / Vancouver but (1) journal names in full and (2) a new endnote for each repeat citation with a ref back to the first instance of that citation (allows for page numbers to be given for direct quotes I suppose. Full info here:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/cambridge-quarterly-of-healthcare-ethics/information/author-instructions/preparing-your-materials

Alternatively, one know of a style that does one (or even both) of these things already?

Thanks
Nathan

• Hi Adam, thanks for getting back to me.

Here is the journals instruction for authors:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/cambridge-quarterly-of-healthcare-ethics/information/author-instructions/preparing-your-materials

The style is a modified ICMJE / Vancouver. The main difference is full journal titles (not abbreviations) and that when citing references repeatedly, each mention gets a new endnote which should then read: See note N, Surname, YEAR, Pagination (or page number if a direct cite).

ISSN: 0963-1801 (Print), 1469-2147 (Online)

In-text citation: (superscript endnotes)

Bibliography:

Campbell, J. L., & Pedersen, O. K. The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success. Comparative Political Studies, 2007;40(3), 307–32. https://doi.org/10.1177/0010414006286542

Mares, I. Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers? In P. A. Hall & D. Soskice (Eds.), Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage. New York: Oxford University Press. 2001:184–213.

There are a bunch of OA articles here:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/cambridge-quarterly-of-healthcare-ethics/open-access

Hopefully, that is all the info present and correct!
  • The info is all there, thanks, but if you could go over the references more thoroughly one more time -- they really only help if they're accurate and I can immediately see a bunch of differences (CQHCE doesn't use & before the last author, initializes authors without space and period, uses ', eds.' not '(Eds.)' for editors -- there's likely a bunch more.
  • Ah, my bad. Titles (Journal, Book and Edited Book) are all italicised.

Campbell, JL, Pedersen, OK. The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success. Comparative Political Studies 2007;40(3):307–32. doi:10.1177/0010414006286542

Mares, I. Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers? In Hall PA, Soskice D, eds. Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage. New York: Oxford University Press. 2001:184–213.

I think that is it!
  • Just wondering if a style is likely to be made or if I should just do it manually. Does the call back thing make it too fiddly to be worth it? Appreciate the help regardless.
  • @damnation does most of these -- typically takes 2-6 weeks, not sure about his backlog currently.
  • There is, I'm afraid, a backlog and I can only do so many per week.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zc3Sl4JU7Ltu0Q55-OB0QYCJbYiguVXwpc_BzBLLZcA/edit#gid=128551622

Do you need the style by a specific date?
  • Crikey, that is quite the list! It is very good of you to take so much on.

Don't worry about me. My current paper is ready to go and I would like to get it off, so I will fix it up by hand. It wont take too long! It will be nice to have the style some time in the future though. I am vaguely planning to write something for them later in the year and I am sure there are others out there!

Thanks for all your efforts, both of you.
  • edited January 20, 2023
    Nah, don't do it by hand. That's the whole point of using Zotero. I'll take a look over the weekend.
    Edit: Well, you got lucky. Some alarm in the building woke me up 3hours early...

Try this and let me know what needs fixing.
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/raw/4319fa29f4b44938eaad52ed1c2ae0300d0b19f5/cambridge-quarterly-of-healthcare-ethics.csl
  • Well, there is (almost) always something that needs to be done by hand. In this case incorporating my discursive footnotes into the endnotes (stupid journals not allowing footnotes).

Anyway, wow, amazing. Thanks. I gave it a go, and it kinda worked. I'll try to explain.

So I had my manuscript set to Vancouver. I added the above and simply switched to the new style in document preferences. But what it then did was turn all the endnote references into footnotes, and then inserted an endnote into the footnote! So that was odd! Each Reference was a footnote, which was then another number, referring to an endnote! Very weird.

So, create two copies of my original Vancouver document. I unlinked the citations in one and deleted all the end notes. I then set that document's style to CQHCE and went through reinserting all the refs. That puts them in as footnotes (and not end notes) but they were formatted correctly. It does not, however, do call backs. So if I reference Paper1 and then do so again, it just put it in as a new note with the full reference, and not put 'See note [number of previous note], Emmerich 2022' which is the journal style (it is kind of like the "Ibid" system if that makes sense?)

Anyway, once I had done all the refs, it was easy enough to unlink the citations and convert the footnotes to end notes. It was then easy enough to replace the repeat citations with a call back (using cross ref) and to incorporate all my footnotes into the endnotes as appropriate.

So, yeah, it was helpful, thanks.

But to be what the journal stipulates, the style needs to (1) put the refs in as endnotes and (2) do this call back thing. I do not know how easy either of those might be to do!

I am going to submit my paper now but happy to look at updated versions if you are going to stick with it. Thanks again for doing it! Sorry about the alarm!
  • You can just switch footnotes to endnotes in Word, Zotero just defaults to Footnotes
  • @damnation -- you're using citation-number for the call back, that should be first-reference-note-number
  • Yeah that is what I did. But you mean that this is the way to do it in general?
  • Either in Zotero or in Word, yes.
    This, though, when switching from a numeric style:
    So I had my manuscript set to Vancouver. I added the above and simply switched to the new style in document preferences. But what it then did was turn all the endnote references into footnotes, and then inserted an endnote into the footnote!
    shouldn't have happened. That should just work and I'm not sure why it wouldn't have. Note that Vancouver doesn't have endnotes -- Vancouver is a numeric bibliography, which looks similar, but is conceptually completely distinct.
  • Ah, you can switch it in Zotero/ document preference too, good to know. That is useful.

Yeah, it is weird. I wonder if it is because endnotes and bibliographies are conceptually distinct, like you say. If I try to create a bibliography in a document set to CQHCE it says that it cannot because the style does not do bibliographies. But when I change the setting from Vancouver to CQHCE a bibliography is already present, so it freaks.
  • If I try to create a bibliography in a document set to CQHCE it says that it cannot because the style does not do bibliographies. But when I change the setting from Vancouver to CQHCE a bibliography is already present, so it freaks.
    You're right, that's reproducible in even a simple document. If you delete the Bibliography before switching citation styles (no need to unlink citations), everything works as intended.

@adomasven -- I think that's a bug in the Word processor integration. To recap, steps to reproduce:

1. In a new document in Word, insert a citation in Vancouver style with the Word add-on
    2. Add a Bibliography
    3. In Document Preferences, switch to a style that does not define a bibliography (such as the one linked above)
    Expected behavior: The style converts properly and the bibliography is removed
    Actual behavior: Zotero throws and error, and the style conversion is stuck halfway through (in this case, footnotes get inserted as they should, but the old, Vancouver citation formatting remains).