How to import 1100+ PDFs from exported Paperpile Library?

I used to use Zotero with Zotero storage. I then moved over to Paperpile as I wanted to use Paperpile on iPad and BOOX Note Air 2+. However, I have tried that and now looking to get back into Zotero.

I tried to get back to my old account and realised it was WAY too hard so I have created a new Zotero account, a new library and a new folder structure on my Google Drive which is sync'd to my MacBook Pro.

I have exported the Paperpile library into .ris format and imported the 5000+ entries of which 1100+ should have PDFs attached (2.5Gb). I still have the files in Paperpile so they are not lost.

How do I get the PDFs to be associated with the references in the library without having to do it manually?

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Gareth
  • Bumping this...as there wasn't a response.

Another option I am thinking of is to export all of the PDFs from the Paperpile folders into one master folder and then import use Zotfile to manage that. Is that an option?

Linking Zotero and Obsidian is what's regenerated this interest...

• edited January 31, 2023
    I tried to get back to my old account and realised it was WAY too hard
    What do you mean by this?

Paperpile should be exporting them in a way where the PDFs are linked to each record. What actually happened when you imported? Can you open the RIS file in a text editor (e.g., TextEdit or Notepad), find one of the entries that should have a PDF, and paste it here?
  • Hi,

I was exporting in JSON but then found a thread about exporting in .ris and maintaining the same file structure in Google Drive, and it worked. The PDFs are all there and I need to work through them to make notes from the annotations I had already made.

Regards

Gareth