Looking for way to import thousands of books into zotero

The Centre for Reformation and Renaissance Studies Library, which is indexed by the University of Toronto library system, would like to import all its rare books into zotero and we are currently studying the easiest way to accomplish that. We are talking about 3,000 books.

We can get the library catalogue to list the books we want to import, but the site translator only works to import individual books. Processing 3,000 books like that would be too time-consuming.

Any ideas?
  • hmm - is there a way to mark all records on a page (or even better in a search)? - I couldn't find one, but if there is you could mark them all, the, export all marked items to Refworks (the only export option to bib software I could find) and then export RIS from Refworks and import that file into Zotero.
    Or you could find someone to improve the utoronto translator (which I couldn't even get to work for a single entry) - I believe it's a discovery catalogue.
  • I thought of that... I did import some files into RefWorks and then exported the files the way you suggested. The only problem is that the import wasn't as well done as when you import directly - the call numbers became an attached note, for example. Maybe I should experiment with the different export formats from Refworks...
  • edited December 10, 2009
    guerson: What export formats do you have available to you in your OPAC? Any of these? What about MARC binaries?