work version vs home account

edited January 12, 2023
Hello, I had a Zotero account through my former employer. In trying to create my own account, I created a new account with a different (personal) email. Yet, when I keep trying to download Zotero on my home laptop to work on a personal writing project, Zotero continues to load my former work Zotero libraries. Help?!
  • What is it you want to do:
    1) Move your existing Zotero account and all data in it to a new email address or
    2) Start a new, empty account with a new email address?

The way to do 1 and 2 are quite distinct
  • Hello, thanks for answering! Sorry, I realize the email heading should have said Work version (not Word). I want to do #2, start a new empty account.
  • edited January 12, 2023
    Why do you want to create a new account? You can just add your personal email address to the old account and either keep or delete your data. Unless you're handing off the work account to someone else, there'd be no reason to create a new one.

(You'll need to delete any new account you created using that email address before adding it to your original account.)
  • (Also, I answered this back in January, though I'd still encourage you to just keep your original account.)
  • Hello, I don't want the old account because it's work related and this is for a personal project. I did get that answer a year ago, thank you. I haven't picked this up since then (!). I was afraid to delete anything and wreck any data that belonged to my former employer. I don't need the data from my work account, it's unrelated to this new project.
  • I don't care about keeping the account, either way is fine. I just don't want to delete anything from my old company and give them any trouble. They are very nice people.
  • edited January 12, 2023
    But were you sharing any data with them via your personal account? If not, you can just delete all the data and continue using Zotero. Otherwise you’re just leaving data on Zotero servers forever for no reason.

People keep accounts when switching jobs all the time, and it’s what we recommend.
  • No, I wasn't sharing any data from personal account. How do I delete their data and use mine only?
  • edited January 13, 2023
    The same way you would delete any data in Zotero — by selecting it and deleting it.