WebDAV password resets

Good day,

I have two computers syncing a Zotero library, and I'm using a separate WebDAV server to store attachments in My Library. I can set up my preferences and verify the server without trouble. Then the sync works fine. However, this happy state of affairs does not last. A day or two later, when I try to sync the library, Zotero tells me the password has a problem. I then have to go into Preferences, reenter the password, and verify the server all over again.

Is this a known problem? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks.
  • When you return to the Sync preference pane, does the WebDAV password show as entered, or is it blank?

Do you need to reenter your Zotero server password?

What's the exact error you're getting?
  • Dan Stillman wrote:

* When you return to the Sync preference pane, does the WebDAV password show as entered, or is it blank?

It shows as entered but hidden as a string of asterisks. However, there's one or two more asterisks than in the actual password.

* Do you need to reenter your Zotero server password?

No

* What's the exact error you're getting?

I reported it as error 2143265932. The message says, "WebDAV password not provided." If then I type in the correct password and hit "Verify Server," I get the message "File storage is successfully set up," which usually lasts about a day.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that gives the error?
  • Hi Dan,

Here it is: D1626824706.

Maybe I should have done more before submitting it. I set things up to create a log on restart. When Firefox restarted, the error was already there, and I submitted the log.

Perhaps it would be more enlightening to let Firefox start, detect the error, and fix it by retyping the password. Even better would be doing a successful sync after retyping the password, waiting a while (here's the rub -- I don't really know how much time goes by before Zotero decides the password is no good), detect the error, and submit the debug log after that. Please let me know if something like this.

Cheers,
    Marsh
  • Yeah—in this debug output, the WebDAV password is missing since Firefox startup. Do you know if it was missing before you restarting Firefox?

It's not very likely that this is a problem in Zotero or that it's something we could fix, since Zotero just gets the password from the Firefox login manager. I'd try disabling all other Firefox extensions to see if that fixes it. If not, it's possible the Firefox login manager is corrupted, which you could test by moving signons.sqlite out of your Firefox profile directory with Firefox closed and then re-entering the password on restart. I'm not sure why only the WebDAV password would be missing, however.

If neither of those works, you could try creating a new Firefox profile to see if the problem occurs there.