Sync resolution windows says Remote: Object Deleted

Hi Zoteronians,

I use Zotero on 4 different computers. Some time ago my libraries became corrupted and could not sync. Due to my schedule, I let this go, so that today each library has a fair number of unique entries.

I have begun to fix the corruption, and two libraries are now correctly synced. In the process, I deleted many duplicate entries. Now I am working on a third computer, and when I sync it, Zotero pops up a three-panel resolution window with about 100 items requiring resolution. It seems that they are mainly items whose entries in the "remote" panel are described as "object deleted." This raises a few problems:

1) Since the resolution window gives no other information about the deleted remote object, it's impossible to know if it was the same as the one on the local machine.

2) Since one cannot browse either the local Zotero library or the remote one while the resolution window is open, it's impossible to check and see if the local item requiring resolution is one of the duplicates that should be deleted.

3) Even if one were to know that the item should be deleted, the resolution window does not allow one to choose this as an option. In other words, if the local item was the same one on the other machines but this item was deleted while reconciling the two other machines because they had duplicate versions of the item, it too should be deleted because presumably the synced library the two other machines are using has another item with the same bibliographic information. But the resolution window does not allow one to delete the local item. One can only accept the local item, which might mean adding a deleted duplicate back into the library and undoing the work of manually removing duplicate entries.

Can anyone suggest the best way to proceed and to get the third machine in sync with the other two?

Thanks.
  • I have begun to fix the corruption, and two libraries are now correctly synced. In the process, I deleted many duplicate entries. Now I am working on a third computer, and when I sync it, Zotero pops up a three-panel resolution window with about 100 items requiring resolution.
    This generally happens when the local machine is forced to do a full sync, which means Zotero pretends the local library has never been synced. It therefore considers the local item to have been modified since the last sync, and since the remote item has been deleted since the last sync, there's a conflict.

Full syncs generally shouldn't be necessary, and we're working to reduce their frequency, but there are still a few bugs that might trigger them unnecessarily.
    1) Since the resolution window gives no other information about the deleted remote object, it's impossible to know if it was the same as the one on the local machine.
    It's the same. Objects are identified by unique keys, so there's no chance that it's referring to a different item.
    One can only accept the local item
    Clicking on the middle pane should select the deleted one in the right-hand pane and cause the local item to be deleted once conflict resolution is done.