Can't find files

Most of my files are linked. I have a few inside Zotero's storage and can see them via a Finder (Mac) search inside Zotero's storage. But there I can see files that I cannot find in my Zotero app database. I have searched for words that appear in the file name and searched for the whole file name. To keep Zotero's storage tidy - can I delete these files, or should I delete the folder they are in? Can I still find them somewhere in my database?
Thanks
  • Generally speaking, you shouldn't touch the data directory — Zotero manages it for you. Orphaned storage folders should be rare, and a future version will likely clean up any that exist automatically.

But if you really want to do this, you can search for the 8-character folder name in the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode to find the attachment in question. (Attachments on disk might be in the trash, or they might be in other libraries.) If you're sure they're not in your library, you could theoretically delete the folder.
  • Great, thank you for explaining.
    If any future versions will clean up any orphans, then I'll just leave it be.
    Thanks!