Over 5 crashes in the last hour

Hi!

I’m taking notes on a PDF on my IPad on Zotero for IOS and the app continues to crash. It’ll crash while I’m trying to change the color of an annotation or copy a word from the pdf or change the formatting in a note. I recording the two most recent crash report IDs, though I’m sure I’ll have more soon enough:

• @rockyduggles thanks for reporting your issues! You're experiencing 2 different issues which result in crashes. I'd like to focus on the first one first.

One of your issues seems to be related to opening settings or annotation popup in PDF reader. This would match your description above, where you mentioned you'd crash when trying to change annotation color or formatting in a note.
    Do you have any reproduction steps which can reproduce your crash? If not, can you at least try to describe in more detail what you were doing before the crash? Did you use multitasking for example? Or did you maybe close another PDF document and when you opened a new one and tried to change something it crashed? Did it crash before opening the popup or did you perform your change (color, formatting, ...) and then it crashed?

If you have some spare time and you can reproduce your crashes reliably, could you please create a quick screen recording which would show your issue? If you do, please send us the recording to support@zotero.org (upload the video somewhere and send us a link, the attachment would be too big to send through mail directly)
  • Hi,

I have not been able to reproduce the crashes reliably, but I think they may be related to a failed sync issue.

At the bottom of my Zotero window, it says Finished Sync, 1 issue. When I click the issue, I get this error message: Note '&It;p style="caret-color:
    #000000; color: #000000; font-variant-caps: normal; font...' too long for item '7107377/LB3VJLGL'

This doesn’t help me figure out which note is causing the issue or but maybe this is why it keeps crashing?

In terms of providing more detail, I wish I could, but the crashes seem totally random. Sometimes they happen when I am switching between collections, but they don’t do this each time I am switching. Sometimes they occur when I am clicking an annotation to add a comment, but this is not definitive either. Sometimes they occur when I’m changing the color of an annotation, but this is also not consistent. I can’t really predict when they will happen and I’m struggling to figure out what is consistent between the different instances. Maybe it is the error message above? Maybe it is multiple Zotero windows or an iPad bug or something else.

I am sure the vagueness of this is frustrating, but I really do appreciate your support and patience in helping me resolve this. Go team!
  • edited January 27, 2023
    @rockyduggles can you provide a Debug ID for a sync? I'd like to see what the sync issue is about.

Also, you have multiple windows of Zotero app opened on iPad side by side? I'll try testing more with multitasking. If you notice anything else let me know. Thanks!
  • edited January 27, 2023
    @rockyduggles: That's a little hard to parse, but it actually just means what it says — you have a note that's too long to sync, because HTML content, and almost certainly an image, ended up in it. Pasting images into notes isn't currently supported in the iOS app and will break syncing, the way it did in Zotero 5 and earlier. Embedded images in notes will be properly supported in a future version, the way they are now in Zotero 6 on the desktop.

For now, paste "LB3VJLGL" into the search bar to find the note in question (or its parent item) and either delete the note and empty the trash or delete the image from it. You should then be able to sync.

No need for a Debug ID.
  • Hi, I came to report a new crash ID — 303289883 and saw the new replies. I search that and realized the note in question was actually the one I’ve been working on quite a lot. It was open during the most recent crash.

I don’t believe there was an image in the note, but it was definitely extremely long. Hopefully this solves the issue.

Thank you so much for the response :)
  • @rockyduggles I'm guessing you crash some time after you modify this rather big note?
  • I should have a fix for the issue you posted above. You can test it in beta if you want to. If you don't want to stay in beta, you can go back to the App Store build later.

Let me know if you were able to check it out and whether you still have some crashes. Thanks!
  • @rockyduggles: You can try 1.0.10 now to see if this is fixed for you.