Improvement of the advanced search function

As a new Zotero user switching from Endnote, I like Zotero very much. However, one disadvantage of Zotero compared with Endnote is its advanced search function. First, there is no way to customise the displayed metadata of searched items. In particular, I really need to know the journal in which the paper is published. Second, it is not possible to set a default combination of search boxes. For example, it is quite often that I need 'creator', 'date', and 'publication' to locate one certain reference, so I have to add these boxes one by one every time I need to find a paper. This can be easily done in Endnote.
  • Customizing the columns in the Advanced Search window will be possible at some point, but you can just create a saved search from an advanced search. You can then view the results with your usual columns, and you can double-click the search to edit it and put it in search terms.

To be clear, though, you can also just type your search terms in the main search bar in All Field & Tags mode. If you enter a creator, year, and publication title, it will filter the results to only items that have all of those terms.
  • Thank you very much for your reply. Your workaround it nice, although not perfect, as I have to delete the saved terms first. Anyway, I look forward to the future updates of Zotero!
  • edited January 8, 2023
    I mean, you don't really have to delete them if you're adding all three fields — you just select the whole field (e.g., by triple-clicking) and start typing.

But again, I'd recommend just trying this in the main search bar instead of Advanced Search.