URL not showing for a Web page

I'm using the style 'Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology' (5/17/2014). I have an item that has Item Type = Web Page and that does have a URL specified, but the URL doesn't show up in the bibliography. As a test, I cited another item that is a Web Page and its URL shows up fine. I've added and removed fields from the item that doesn't work, so it has the same fields as the one that does work, but it doesn't help.

If I switch to the APA 7 style, the URL appears in the bibliography for both items.

I've done some searching and I've tried looking at the CSL code but I can't figure it out. Can anyone suggest what might be happening?

Thank you.
  • edited January 3, 2023
    The style does this correctly.
    Make sure you have nothing in your Extra field that changes the type of the item.
  • Aha! The Extra field contained 'Type: dataset', overriding the 'Web Page' setting. The Springer style (which the 'Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology' style is based on) doesn't handle datasets, while the APA style does.

Thank you!
  • Do we have any indication what Springer wants for datasets? We could add that to Springer, as well, of course, but would want to know how it should look.
  • I'm afraid I don't know. The author instructions for JARO just say '... should include information on where data supporting the results reported in the article can be found (including, where applicable, hyperlinks to publicly archived datasets ...' and don't mention citation or bibliography styles for datasets. We're attempting to follow the recommendations at https://dataverse.org/best-practices/data-citation
  • OK, we'll come up with something that fits the style and uses DOI and where that's unavailable URL.
  • Although our dataset has a DOI, I wanted the reference to include the URL, because it includes the name of the repository (Borealis) and the DOI doesn't. (The DOI is embedded in the URL.)

My Extra field included 'Publisher: Borealis' as well as 'Type: dataset'. Perhaps a Dataset type would also include a Publisher field?
  • Exactly, yes, the repository name would be included in a data citation, which would look similar to the sample one that Dataverse creates (though who knows how long Borealis/Scholarsportal/Portage sticks to their current name :P ) and you should then definitely only include the DOI, not the URL.
  • The reference should also include the version number. Would that use the Edition field?

When Zotero captures the information for a dataset at borealisdata.ca, it uses Type = Journal Article and puts Publisher and Type in the Extra field. Would it be possible to also detect the version and save it in the Extra field using 'Edition:'?
  • You can use
    Version: 1 in Extra, which citation style can pick up -- it's not super easy to get this into Zotero automatically: currently we're using the Dublin Core metadata in the page header, and Dublin Core has no Version/Edition