Notify the Connector while newer translators are available

I noticed that if I start the browser first and then start the software, the connector will keep the state without a translator. At this time, I had to manually update translators from options (And it does not show echo), either disable - enable the Connector.

In my opinion, when the translators are available or updated, all connectors should be notified, or automatic regular checking. And if possible, adding a context menu to refresh the translators from the Connector.
  • The Connector automatically checks for translator updates on browser start and every 24 hours after that. If you're not receiving automatic translator updates and you can reliably reproduce this state, post the steps to reproduce it.

Currently the Zotero client gets translator updates as soon as they are released and we have plans to make the Connector automatically pull them from the client at that time too.
  • It's worth noting that the problems I encountered may be because they are not officially released translators. For official translations, they may be used for online saves.

I expect the Connector to perceive earlier when Zotero client are started, and even cache these translators in browser.
  • But as you're developing yourself, just having the connector preferences tab open and clicking on update when you need to test the connector in Zotero seems like a pretty minor issue, no?
  • "clicking on update" is reasonable, but these buttons never say that the update is successful or the update is completed, and sometimes it seems to be unfinished (no new behavior after reload page), so I finally give up this method.
    BTW, if the Connector can monitor changes or allow cache-less mode, it may save some developers time.
  • edited January 4, 2023
    I mean, the button should always work. You have to save the translator to Zotero from Scaffold, click Update Metadata, and reload the webpage. That's the standard workflow.

If you just edit the translator file on disk, it won't work.

But as we say, we hope to make the connector detect translator updates more quickly in the future.