Moving Files from Third-Party Cloud Back to Zotero Storage

Hello,

After years of using Zotfile to store PDFs within Box using relative paths, I want to simplify my storage and workflow by moving everything back to paid Zotero storage. I will likely be switching institutions regularly for the next few years, and I don't want to keep moving all my of my files to different cloud services based on what each instution pays for. I'd rather just have everything live permanently in Zotero so that I don't have to actively manage my file storage at all anymore.

I've read a lot of forum posts trying to figure out how to do this, but because I have very little technical knowledge, I wanted to ask for confirmation before I do anything. I've spent countless hours in the past rectifying file location issues that stemmed from an improper understanding of how Zotero works early on, so I just want to be really sure about the process before I start making any changes to my current setup.

My current understanding is that I can just revert the base directory back to absolute paths and then use Zotfile to move my existing files from their current locations in Box [C:\Users\\Box\Zotero Files] to Zotero storage. I can then reattach the links using 'show attachment paths' and 'modify attachment paths' using Zutilo.

Could you tell me if this is at all correct?

Thanks very much for your help!
  • Sorry, something formatted weirdly, the current location is C:\Users\my user name\Box\Zotero Files
  • No, none of that is necessary. It's just Tools → Manage Attachments → Convert Linked Files to Stored Files.

And you'll obviously need to stop ZotFile from converting stored files to linked files going forward. You can remove the Linked Attachment Base Directory setting after doing this, but that won't make a difference once you're using stored files.
  • Perfect, thank you!